The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

Registered
I did make a little progress this weekend and I stress the "little" part

Son #1 & I both shot some more, but he forgot his broadheads, but he did put an old 100 gr montec that I had on his arrows and shoot that and it shot to the same POI as his field points so I'm hopeful his new broadheads will fly the same. If not - we always have the montec's. When I was feeling good about where he was at for the start of the season he goes "Ya know - I've only been using my first pin for 20 yards and the second one for 30 yards since I got the bow and I have 3 more pins here ... When are we going to change them all around? I want a 10, 20, 25, 30, and 35"

Not archery related, but getting ready for the season in general ... I got rifle scopes swapped around for son #2 on his new rifle and my rifle. Got both sighted in but need to load more ammo for each now. Son #1 also told me that he's now almost out of both 7mm-08 and 264wm 馃檮 This really has been like two steps forward and one step back.

edit - oh and i did get a tether tied up for son #2 (I make my own tethers out of climbing rope and climbing carabiners instead of the straps that come with most harnesses) It makes going around branches easier and quicker when using climbing sticks.

Registered
I'm always ready as far as shooting and equip goes.I've always been a mobile hunter and used either a climber or saddle,depending on the situation.I never pre hung stands and spent most of the year just checking out new spots and monitorin old spots.The majority of my crucial scouting is done in season as things change and often with a stand on my back.That all changed 10 years ago when my son started to hunt.I started to scout for him and hung multiple stands because he wasn't big enough to lug one himself.It was fun but a lot more work and way more prep was involved.He's 16 and can legally hunt by himself now.The last few years I got him comfortable with a climber and saddle so he was on his own for the most part for the last couple of years.Now I'm back to the simplicity of the way I used to hunt and most of the stress has disappeared.I was anticipating a good year as we had multiple good bucks located in several different areas and we both have been shooting often.On sunday he missed a triple at a moto x race and ended up breaking his collar bone.At first they said he would be down for 6 weeks but since it wasn't displaced,they said 3-4 weeks.Hopefully he only misses part of the first week because my desire to hunt just isn't there unless he's out thee with me.

Registered
Checked two stands this morning. Did a little trimming. Made a fake scrape, hung a licking branch over it, and set a camera on it.

Registered
When I was feeling good about where he was at for the start of the season he goes "Ya know - I've only been using my first pin for 20 yards and the second one for 30 yards since I got the bow and I have 3 more pins here ... When are we going to change them all around? I want a 10, 20, 25, 30, and 35"
You can play around with it, but what you're going to find is that with most bows are set up where your 20 pin will be dead on around 8-9 yards.
Under that distance you'll have to aim with a "bigger" pin for pin point accuracy. For instance, at 3 yards, you may have to hold with your 50 pin.
A 10 yard pin is going to be so close to your 20 yard pin that they will be stacked right on top each other, and in a hunting situation there will be such a negligible difference in point of impact that it makes little sense to have a pin set under 20 yards. (Your 10 yard pin will also be your 17-18 yard pin)

Have your boy consider staying with what he has.

Registered
Pins will be way too close together at those settings! Agree your 20 should also be dead on at 7-8 yds. and anything between that and 20 you will be within a small fraction of an inch off. I used to gap shoot with my pins when I shot 3--d comp.

Registered
I'm always ready as far as shooting and equip goes.I've always been a mobile hunter and used either a climber or saddle,depending on the situation.I never pre hung stands and spent most of the year just checking out new spots and monitorin old spots.The majority of my crucial scouting is done in season as things change and often with a stand on my back.That all changed 10 years ago when my son started to hunt.I started to scout for him and hung multiple stands because he wasn't big enough to lug one himself.It was fun but a lot more work and way more prep was involved.He's 16 and can legally hunt by himself now.The last few years I got him comfortable with a climber and saddle so he was on his own for the most part for the last couple of years.Now I'm back to the simplicity of the way I used to hunt and most of the stress has disappeared.I was anticipating a good year as we had multiple good bucks located in several different areas and we both have been shooting often.On sunday he missed a triple at a moto x race and ended up breaking his collar bone.At first they said he would be down for 6 weeks but since it wasn't displaced,they said 3-4 weeks.Hopefully he only misses part of the first week because my desire to hunt just isn't there unless he's out thee with me.
Hoping your son has a speedy recovery, @dce.

Registered
Thanks,Unfortunately injuries with him are just a normal part of life.I had him rub some vagisil on it so he'll be fine.I'm kina relieved that he'll be off the bike for awhile.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Getting ready to go on a pretty tough scouting mission in a few hours . Figures it has to be hot out when I finally have a chance to get out there again.

Registered
Mathews Vertix, Easton FMJ 4mm, Rage Hypo 125
I still need to get out and scout a little but not sure if I want to with the season opening on Saturday and it being a relatively small area i'm trying to hunt. Might go off and look at some other areas away from my normal one. Treating hunting clothes today and finishing up putting lighted nocks on arrows. Trying to decide if I want to hunt from a climber or on the ground Saturday, not sure yet, im not great with the climber so don't want to spend 45 mins getting up the tree when I could hunt from ground. Will probably be a game time decision. Gotta get my last cam up, other than that not much. Bow is ready to go, wish today was Friday lol 馃槀

Registered
You can play around with it, but what you're going to find is that with most bows are set up where your 20 pin will be dead on around 8-9 yards.
Under that distance you'll have to aim with a "bigger" pin for pin point accuracy. For instance, at 3 yards, you may have to hold with your 50 pin.
A 10 yard pin is going to be so close to your 20 yard pin that they will be stacked right on top each other, and in a hunting situation there will be such a negligible difference in point of impact that it makes little sense to have a pin set under 20 yards. (Your 10 yard pin will also be your 17-18 yard pin)

Have your boy consider staying with what he has.
Thanks ... I told him to stick with it for this year and just play around with shooting at those different distances and learning how his bow shoots at those distances with the pins as they are now. If anything we might play with the second pin to put him more on at 30 yards. He's shooting a nice tight group at 30, but he's a consistent 3" high

Super Moderator
Put a T cam back out today to replace one I was having trouble with and touched up a mock scrape. Have two ladder stands to put out yet, but torn on the locations. Do I put them deep in the woods where I am confident are good locations or do I put them in less proven locations where I will be able to get to them hopefully for a few more years and get a deer out while going into my late 70's as I hunt solo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Put a T cam back out today to replace one I was having trouble with and touched up a mock scrape. Have two ladder stands to put out yet, but torn on the locations. Do I put them deep in the woods where I am confident are good locations or do I put them in less proven locations where I will be able to get to them hopefully for a few more years and get a deer out while going into my late 70's as I hunt solo.
You鈥檙e a inspiration to me Born2Hunt . Hope I am still going at it as hard as you are when I am in my 70鈥檚 .

Registered
Glad I ran out and did one final scouting run today. I have a stand set and all trimmed for my son near a tree I have been climbing for years. Decided to stop by and do a bit of trimming for the tree I climb. My double birch trees did not fair well in the last wind storm. This would have made for a quite a fire drill on October 2nd AM in the dark鈥︹
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
One thing that is good to do around this time of the year is to take care of any maintenance on your hunting rigs. Northing more frustrating than spending "the best day" in the shop waiting on your vehicle to get repaired.

Super Moderator
Yes no rear brakes on my 4 wheeler.....got to address that tomorrow. Got another ladder stand up to day....struggle......killed 23 mosquitos while getting bit constantly. They fly around ones head until they see you are busy with both hands and here they come. Made a mock scrape relocated 3 cams....

Also got a ground blind set up n the edge of a field. Three doe watch me at about 200 yards.....I know they are go to tell the bucks.....

Super Moderator
Checked 6 T cams today still to look at three of the SD cards, Put out a cam and set a new mock scrape in an old location which has been very productive for pictures over the last 10 years and a high tine 10 point. Based on the tracks under the vine they are they are still visiting the scrape.....still one stand to set, but I want to put out three cam to help me pick the best trail. The deer and raccoons are hitting the acorns......I have T Cam pictures of about 12 legal bucks but nothing special yet......

41 - 58 of 58 Posts