The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Sorry I am rambling guys but I use HPA for a number of different reasons and one of them is to vent my feelings. Anyhow I am a little bit older for having such a young family. When I was in my twenties I enjoyed hunting but not on the same level as I do now because women , hanging out with friends and partying were always on my mind . Because of that I didn’t invest time into it like I would now if I had that kind of free time . In my 30’s I started becoming a much better hunter and my hunger grew even stronger. Now that I am married with kids I love the outdoors more than ever but I don’t have the time to scout and hunt like I really want too . Again I wouldn’t change my life for anything. I am very blessed but at the same it’s crazy the way life works. I just wonder sometimes what I could be capable of if I didn’t have so many other responsibilities.
We are always searching for ways to become better hunters. Trying to find tactics that will bring continued success season after season. Constantly dreaming of killing that mature buck . All of this is achievable. Even for some off those with a limited amount of time but in my personal opinion to truly be at the top your game is to have a unlimited amount of time .
I wish I was able to go scouting again today because I feel like I was starting to get on to something yesterday but because of other obligations I can’t. Not sure when I will be able to get out again and I am also not trying to make this sound like a sob story because it’s just a really for most us that we don’t talk about very often.

·
Super Moderator
13,867 Posts
The prep goes on: Yesterday put up a hang on......and cut some lanes.

Today cut out for one ladder stand and 3 limbers/hang ons. Ran 3 T cams 1st one only doe, second 792 pictures yet to check tonight and checked a few of the on the third cam to see a nice 8 point 11:20AM then again at 1:20 AM......

This evening talked to the farmer where I placed a ladder stand a few weeks ago and made arrangements to mow some trails in heavy cover to place a couple of stands. That will be a full days work.

Later this week I need to cut out for one of my ladder stands in place, make about 7 mock scrapes, hang a couple on hang ons. A long day....Then there those ground wasp to deal with....

Shot the bow same hole at 20 and 50.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I have half of my clothes left to wash along with my both of my packs. Outside of that, I'm ready! Just harvested 15 nice sized milkweed pods yesterday and have them drying out in the garage. 25 days until season. SO EXCITED!!!!

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, Easton FMJ 4mm, Rage Hypo 125
387 Posts
Anybody know of a good budget trail cam, don’t need to spend anything crazy on cameras that will be left out for the next few months. Maybe one day I’ll get those cellular ones but not going to risk it and put them out on public, going to wait until I can get on private to buy those. Anyways, what trail cams do you guys use that are good for the money? Have one stealthcam and want to get 1 or 2 other cams more to put around my main hunting area.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I feel way behind even though I've been chipping away at different things over the past couple weeks / month.

Biggest things to do yet are that we have 4 hang-ons & a ladderstand to put up ... 3 hours from home. Need to get Son #1 to shoot his broadheads that just came this week. Fingers crossed that they fly like his field points do.

I did just make Son #2 a lineman's belt this past weekend. He's been practicing with my stuff in the back yard so that's at least progressing.

I also have some stuff to do for gun season ... Need to swap a couple scopes around between rifles and everything that goes along with that.

·
Super Moderator
13,867 Posts
Rain today keeping me out of the woods and not allowing me to hang out my hunting clothes. So today, planning a sequence to get things in the woods done and final, review buck pictures to determine where to relocate T Cams and place mock scrapes.

I have a good location where bucks and does are entering a field. I would like to put a ladder stand there, but there are two good trees with disadvantages (1) The tree is up wind of the dominate west wind crossing the open field and (2) is a loaded walnut tree which I learned last year is not a safe location with all the green bombs falling and I don't have a camo hard hat. So I cleared an area to put a ground blind which I will construct from camo cloth.

I spent 2 hours cutting networks of vineing briars to give me a view down the edge of the field to see them as they step out into the opening. I cut the briars individually and bare handed collecting about a hundred or so puncture wounds and yes it took about another 1/2 hour to cut an entrance lane so I don't have to enter through the field.

After the cutting I discovered there was a trail leading to the field right across my ground blind spot, so I build a blockage with the briars in an attempt to get the deer to take a detour to my planned shooting window on the other side of a load oak tree....Hope it was worth the time. Have some buck picture there.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My second 2C doe tag came in yesterday. Have tomorrow off so I am going to take one of my targets in the woods behind my house and shoot over 40 yards . Haven’t set that pin yet but my first and second pins are on the money . I will also probably dig my stands out and start looking them over .

·
Registered
36 Posts
I feel like I am pretty well set. Last weekend I got all my gear cleaned up and organized.

I've also been shooting and feel real good about that.

Next weekend I'll do a quick walk through of all my hunting areas to check for sign and food sources.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have a old Summit climber that has been sitting under my shed for the last three years . Going to dig it out and go on a scouting mission in one of the most remote areas I hunt . Plan on just leaving it in the woods all season because I won’t be overly concerned if it gets stolen. It will be nice to hike back in there without a stand on my back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a old Summit climber that has been sitting under my shed for the last three years . Going to dig it out and go on a scouting mission in one of the most remote areas I hunt . Plan on just leaving it in the woods all season because I won’t be overly concerned if it gets stolen. It will be nice to hike back in there without a stand on my back.
Good idea!

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Thought I was ready. Stuff like this will keep you on your toes. 3rd target of the day at a 3D shoot I drew back and something jerked a little bit on the draw and my anchor just felt strange.
I just mentally thought I’ll adjust and settle in to the shot, when I felt a pop in the bow again so I knew I had to let down. As I let the string down there was a loud “SNAP!”
I the latest victim of Bowtech limb failure.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thought I was ready. Stuff like this will keep you on your toes. 3rd target of the day at a 3D shoot I drew back and something jerked a little bit on the draw and my anchor just felt strange.
I just mentally thought I’ll adjust and settle in to the shot, when I felt a pop in the bow again so I knew I had to let down. As I let the string down there was a loud “SNAP!”
Man that sucks . Also worries me because I shoot a Revolt X . What year is your bow ?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
2013 bow. Bowtechs had a pretty bad reputation for limbs blowing up back then.
Supposedly the new limbs are pretty reliable. We shall see. I'm shooting a new Solution SS on Wednesday...........

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
2013 bow. Bowtechs had a pretty bad reputation for limbs blowing up back then.
Supposedly the new limbs are pretty reliable. We shall see. I'm shooting a new Solution SS on Wednesday...........
Heard alot of good things about the SS other than some complaints about the cables being in n the sight picture. Not sure if they hit a home run with the Solution (not the SS ) Seems like guys are trying to sell them shortly after buying them and reading some complaints about tuning and issues shooting. Of course there are also comments that they’re tac drivers but with that being said it’s not universal praise like I was expecting.

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, Easton FMJ 4mm, Rage Hypo 125
387 Posts
Man that sucks, at least it happened now and not on draw of a big buck. I may be biased but since your bow shopping I would say go and shoot the new Mathews along with the Bowtech, have heard really good things about the V3’s.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Brutal. Happy no personal injury occurred. There was a kid that posted on another board who had a Bear RTH package bow with one of those peeps that aren’t tied in. The ones with the elastic tube. Peep exploded after coming to full draw and plastic shards shot into his eye. He posted an update recently, and might get lucky and keep some of his vision. Apparently not the first person to experience that with those either.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Brutal. Happy no personal injury occurred. There was a kid that posted on another board who had a Bear RTH package bow with one of those peeps that aren’t tied in. The ones with the elastic tube. Peep exploded after coming to full draw and plastic shards shot into his eye. He posted an update recently, and might get lucky and keep some of his vision. Apparently not the first person to experience that with those either.
That’s crazy .

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That’s crazy .
I thought so to. He stated that it wasn’t a dry fire and was doing everything correctly. It is the internet after all, so I was a bit suspicious. After he posted his pictures and other users chiming in about similar incidents it really had My gears turning.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I thought so to. He stated that it wasn’t a dry fire and was doing everything correctly. It is the internet after all, so I was a bit suspicious. After he posted his pictures and other users chiming in about similar incidents it really had My gears turning.
Definitely a wake up call to inspect your bow periodically. I know in my younger years I had things wrong with my bow and was totally unaware until the shop pointed it out to me . I think I went a entire season one year with a hairline crack in one of my limbs and only found out about it when I sold it to a guy . He took it to the local shop and they discovered right away . Of course I gave him his money back.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts