The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off today and shipped my three boys off to school at 8:20 this morning. They’re good kids but they’re wild at times and no matter what my wife and I do we can’t get them to listen when they’re wound up and they get wound up often. It can get pretty embarrassing when all the other kids are being chill and mine are acting like lunatics. They’re also more scared of my wife than me for whatever reason. Anyhow two of them are grounded when they get home .
Still have my daughter at home with me but it’s easy to keep her occupied with PJ Masks and other cartoons. We will play outside later.
So with that being said I was finally able to shoot my broadheads which has been weighing on me the last couple weeks. Very first one ended up being a flyer which had me in panic mode . Thought my bow possibly went out of tune during the last couple months. Luckily the next arrow flew perfect and I ended up with 4 good ones and 2 that will be relegated to practice duty out of the 6 I shot. Still have extra arrows sitting on the shelf that I haven’t shot yet but the 4 good ones all could easily be my number one hunting arrow . Basically my first shot was at 21 yards and if I hit a couple in a row within a three in circle I would move back to a little over 30 . If I was able to hit the circle at that distance they were worthy of going in the quiver . Surprisingly every time I moved back to 30 I drilled the circle on the first shot . Not bad considering there was some wind today and my neighbors were being a little distracting. The old women on one side of me comes out every 30 minutes to walk her Lab up and down the road and my other neighbor works from home . About every 30 minutes he also comes out on his front porch to smoke a cigarette and the way I have my range set up he is staring right at me . Makes it tough to concentrate so I was trying to shoot when I felt like they would be inside . I also have woods behind the house I shoot into but it’s a steep slope so not very good for testing broadhead flight.
Anyhow now that that’s out of the way I still need to wash and air dry my hunting clothes . Also treat them with Sawyers . I also need to check over my tree stands and tighten some bolts on my climbing sticks. When time allows I want to get out there and scout some more . Really looking forward to finding that first rub and also want to check on some areas to see what the mast crop is like .
So what do you guys have left on your plate before the season starts ?
Any thoughts would be appreciated because it wouldn’t surprise me if I am forgetting something.

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, Easton FMJ 4mm, Rage Hypo 125
390 Posts
Sounds good man, I’m slacking pretty hard if so far, just got back from Canada and am now in full hunting mode lol. Running over to Lancaster archery tomorrow for new heads and arrows. Was trying to get myself on a small piece of private land but not sure it’s going to work out so need to get out and scout over the next 2 weeks. Lucky to be able to start the 18th. Also gotta get new clothes as mine got pretty beat up late season last year, but that can wait a little bit. Biggest thing for me is going to be getting those reps with the bow in and dialing it up. What rig you shooting this year steel? I’m I remember correctly you got a new bow? Still lots to do with not a lot of time

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good man, I’m slacking pretty hard if so far, just got back from Canada and am now in full hunting mode lol. Running over to Lancaster archery tomorrow for new heads and arrows. Was trying to get myself on a small piece of private land but not sure it’s going to work out so need to get out and scout over the next 2 weeks. Lucky to be able to start the 18th. Also gotta get new clothes as mine got pretty beat up late season last year, but that can wait a little bit. Biggest thing for me is going to be getting those reps with the bow in and dialing it up. What rig you shooting this year steel? I’m I remember correctly you got a new bow? Still lots to do with not a lot of time
Bowtech Revolt X . I know everyone is different when it comes to bows but I really think it’s the perfect bow for me . Just such as smooth drawing bow and I feel like I can hold it back forever. Pretty much the reason why I got it . I was really getting worried I was going to blow a opportunity in cold weather with my old bow . The draw cycle is pretty stiff and the slightest creep off the back wall would make it want to take off . Still going to keep it for a backup though because it definitely gets the job done. Let us know what broadheads you end up going with .

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
121 Posts
I am pretty much on track so far this pre-season. I still need to do a little stand maintenance and need to still get a cam or 2 out. I checked a couple my last day off to find out on went bad. It took one picture of me walking away then nothing. It acts like the batteries are dead, but they are brand new. Im pretty angry as it was guarding a water source during a good dry spell, but now it’s rained so much putting a cam on a water source is useless. I have not found “the one” yet. I hope he’s still a live. That cam going down really threw a wrench in that though.

Yesterday I changed the blades in my broad-heads that needed changed, but not before shooting each hunting arrow with the dull blades to check POI they all are dead on which is to be expected.

I need to wash and treat clothing but that won’t happen till about 1.5 weeks out. I bought a new pack. I also addressed some ingress and egress routes that needed addressed.

I am definitely in the calm before the storm though. I’m sure there will be wrinkles and full blown screw ups before things get underway.

The place I work I can look out a see a hill side that routinely see a couple nice bucks on. I’ve been wanting to go talk to the land owner but have not gotten around to it. I’ll most likely put that on a to do list for next year. I hear rumors from co-workers the guy doesn’t allow hunting anyway.

·
Super Moderator
13,894 Posts
I am way behind 4 ladder stands set and two to go. Also got to set 3 hang ons and relocate 1, had trouble with two of my new T cam, but I think I figured them out. Got some mowing to do for 2-3 stands, lane cutting 3-4 ladder stands, 2 for climbers, 3 mock scapes yet to get out and T cams to run in three different locations. Then there is the regular hunting clothes wash and air drying and the irregular chore of eliminating some stripped wasp near one of my stands.

I have spent several days in the woods....very hot so I put some of the major projects off until it is cooler and it looks like next week it will be some what cooler, so the crunch will be on.

·
Registered
931 Posts
What do I have to do yet before season starts? I have a compound all set up ready to go. This year I want to get back into traditional bow hunting. Not having any luck last few weeks finding a recurve that fits my budget. Out of stock on any of the 45# bows I looking at. It's to the point I wasting my time. Easton Arrows in 600 and 500 no one has them. Lancaster archery has very little for traditional hunting. Out of stock of this and that. Archery shops around here Middleburg, lewistown, spring mills same thing. A whole lot of nothing. I will not buy from a seller on ebay or amazon. Seems to me it's not just the car dealerships that has empty parking lots. I never thought archery be like this. I am tired of hearing covid is the reason.

Sorry for the rant. I was out scouting today and have some trimming left to do around the stands. Replace the straps.etc. The insects were terrible today.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am pretty much on track so far this pre-season. I still need to do a little stand maintenance and need to still get a cam or 2 out. I checked a couple my last day off to find out on went bad. It took one picture of me walking away then nothing. It acts like the batteries are dead, but they are brand new. Im pretty angry as it was guarding a water source during a good dry spell, but now it’s rained so much putting a cam on a water source is useless. I have not found “the one” yet. I hope he’s still a live. That cam going down really threw a wrench in that though.

Yesterday I changed the blades in my broad-heads that needed changed, but not before shooting each hunting arrow with the dull blades to check POI they all are dead on which is to be expected.

I need to wash and treat clothing but that won’t happen till about 1.5 weeks out. I bought a new pack. I also addressed some ingress and egress routes that needed addressed.

I am definitely in the calm before the storm though. I’m sure there will be wrinkles and full blown screw ups before things get underway.

The place I work I can look out a see a hill side that routinely see a couple nice bucks on. I’ve been wanting to go talk to the land owner but have not gotten around to it. I’ll most likely put that on a to do list for next year. I hear rumors from co-workers the guy doesn’t allow hunting anyway.
What kind of stuff do you like to treat your clothes with? I have some scent killer detergent and stuff like that but is that the correct way to go? I hear some guys like to wash and then let air dry. What’s the best way to do it?

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
121 Posts
What kind of stuff do you like to treat your clothes with? I have some scent killer detergent and stuff like that but is that the correct way to go? I hear some guys like to wash and then let air dry. What’s the best way to do it?
O boy, not looking to get into another debate. Here is what I do for clothing. Not saying its right but it is what I do.

I have a dedicated washer and dryer just for hunting clothing. Nothing has touched the inside but scentless detergents and dryer sheets. They are also located in their own separate down stairs room that is kept clean and no storage. If you cannot have a dedicated washer dryer setup best to run an empty load using scent free detergent, and to do your best to air dry outside. I use tide free and clear it is in my opinion better than the stuff marketed for the hunting community and it is cheaper too.

About 1.5-2 weeks before the season I wash all my hunting clothes 2 times back to back using cold water. I will then dry them and use a couple either scent free or earth scent dryer sheets brand not really important to me. I will then hang outside and spray them with dead down wind spray. I allow them to dry totally. I then hang them in a closet that is in my separate dryer room that I made out of plastic that has an Ozonics in it. I will run the ozone machine for an hour or so and let it soak for a couple hours or do. I then remove them and put them in a scent free plastic container that’s been washed and aired out do it doesn’t smell like plastic from China anymore. At this point I throw in 3-6 fresh earth scent wafers and store in my separate room till season. Once they’ve been worn especially in early season I wash them after every hunt way too much sweat. I also have 2 containers I carry with me in my truck 1 has fresh clothing 1 is for worn clothing. If by some miracle I do not sweat up my clothes I will rewear in a pinch after being treated with ozone. But I have enough clothes that usually is a non issue. I do run into this during multi dark to dark sits during the rut.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Wash the clothes and get them outside, tommorow me and a buddy are getting a final stand hung in the back corner of a cornfield. All other stands have been checked and are good. Next week gonna get a blind tucked in off a field edge that ill use a little in archery but mainly for the daughter in youth rifle. Other than that just keep shooting.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I never wash my hunting clothes unless they get soaked with blood from something I've killed. Insulating and outer wear just simply don't get washed. I'll bet I have some pieces that are more than a decade old that have never been washed.
I'll hang them in the garage to get sprayed with permethrine, then the next day I'll spray with a scent killer ( which does work to remove odor. no doubt).
I'm really don't sweat much when it gets cooler. I'll undress at the house after a hunt and spray my gear in layers as it goes back in the tote. I like to keep fresh hemlock boughs in my tote because I like the smell of it. I never got into the smelly dryer sheets and wafers because they are synthetic scents and i doubt they smell authentic to anything you're trying to fool with them. To me it's just purposefully introducing a foreign odor, and especially using it in conjunction with a meticulous scent free regimen just seems counterproductive to me.
Even my merino base layers don't get washed through the season unless for some reason I work up a good sweat and get them soaked.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Bowtech Revolt X . I know everyone is different when it comes to bows but I really think it’s the perfect bow for me . Just such as smooth drawing bow and I feel like I can hold it back forever. Pretty much the reason why I got it . I was really getting worried I was going to blow a opportunity in cold weather with my old bow . The draw cycle is pretty stiff and the slightest creep off the back wall would make it want to take off . Still going to keep it for a backup though because it definitely gets the job done. Let us know what broadheads you end up going with .
Just got back from Lancaster, here is what my setup is looking like for this year:
Bow: Mathews Vertix 62.5lbs @ 29”
Arrows: Easton FMJ 4mm
BH (as of now): Rage Hypodermic 125 +P
Went a little different direction than I was expecting for arrows but these things are pretty sweet. 520 grains (using regular nock, don’t have lightup one yet). Got 250fps from them which I think for both arrow weight and draw weight is pretty good. FOC is 13%, which isn’t great but isn’t terrible. Has 175 up front with the 125 point and 50 insert. Calculated ft. Lbs. is 72.6, which I know doesn’t mean much but is a nice number. Hoping they will hit hard, using the hypos for now but we’ll see how it goes, I’m not crazy about the no collar stuff, personally like the little plastic collars more but will he testing and sighting in over next few days. I’m excited to see how they perform and shoot at distance, pretty incredible how thin and small they can get it while keeping durability. Can’t wait to send one through a deer here pretty soon!

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went out scouting today in a area I have never been to in the mountains. Did some serious hiking and I am exhausted. Nothing to get too excited about but this particular area has been on my mind for a while. Did find one spot on the leeward side of the ridge that would be nice during the rut . It’s a bench about 100 yards off the crest of the ridge . Even found a buck bed with hair in it . Perfect spot for him with the rising thermal and the wind hitting him in the back . He is bedding around 50 yards away from a couple chestnut oaks that are dropping like crazy . Deer crap all around those trees . I have no clue how big he is but assume he must have some age to him being it’s such a good location and the only bed I found . It was also a pretty good sized bed . A little later I ran into some fresh rubs . They looked to have been made by a 2.5 year old . Possibly 3.5 . The center of the rub came to just below my hip and only one small tine mark on one of the trees next to it . Wouldn’t be able to find that spot again anyhow because at that point I was seriously lost . Lol Heavy fog kept rolling in and out and the terrain in that area is pretty deceiving. There were several times I was worried I was walking the opposite direction of the truck which had me thinking I wouldn’t get out until dark . Anyhow it was great to get back in the woods .
Plant Wood Natural landscape Tree Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Friday checked cams. made 2 mock scrapes. and hung safety ropes so pretty much ready to stay off my property during Sept and continue to scout public.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Gotta make up 2 dozen arrows, one for me and one for my brother, and find the winners that shoot sharps best.

Scouting as much as I can get out.

One or two more fishing trips.

Get ahead at work.

Get way ahead at home.

Continue to shoot a few times a week and practice climbing a tree a time or two.

Find and organize all my junk the night or two before the opener.

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gotta make up 2 dozen arrows, one for me and one for my brother, and find the winners that shoot sharps best.

Scouting as much as I can get out.

One or two more fishing trips.

Get ahead at work.

Get way ahead at home.

Continue to shoot a few times a week and practice climbing a tree a time or two.

Find and organize all my junk the night or two before the opener.
Forgot about practicing climbing trees. Definitely need to do that a few times .

·
Registered
184 Posts
Finally spent some time out in the woods yesterday. Put up a stand and lifeline and got to take the new climber for test run. Freshened up some mock scrapes and did a little scouting.
I was having a great day and really enjoying just doing my thing in the woods until I was messing around with a reveal x I just got and had to turn on airplane mode to connect and never turned it off. I was checking my phone as my wife likes to keep tabs on me but never had a message so figured she was busy with the kids. I didn’t realize until I was on my way home, turned it off and called her and got her missed texts. She wasn’t happy and thought I fell and was dead and then made the comment I was cheating or something since I always answer my phone etc.
Still working on smoothing it over, looks like some work will be done around the house today. Wish I could ditch the cellphone, this would’ve never been an issue 15 - 20 years ago.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Got out to check a camera this morning and took my climber with me. Climbed a tree and trimmed some branches. Came home and tightened up the straps on a stand around the house. Bow is shooting good. It'll be here before ya know it!

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thinking about some non hunting related stuff that still needs done . Truck inspection and new tires and I also want to schedule an eye appointment. It’s been almost two years since my last one and I know my vision has decreased. Also ended up becoming an assistant soccer coach for my 7 year old . They were really desperate for help and I didn’t want to let the kids down . We had our first practice last week and the way things were run I really wish I was the head coach. Not very impressed but I don’t want to overstep my bounds. Never really wanted to coach because I always felt it would be better for m kids to make their own way and to take instruction from someone besides me . I actually prefer to be a spectator and talk to them after a practice or a game . My oldest son is back to fall baseball. The reason why I bring this up is my commitment to coaching and my older sons baseball has me pulling strings at work that I would normally reserve for hunting . Soccer and baseball is going to run all the way until the end of October. It’s only going to get more challenging when the younger two start getting involved. Luckily I have a lot of vacation and will still be to hunt when they’re in school . Also wouldn’t trade any of this for the world but if my kids were grown or I was single my hunting and scouting time would probably be quadrupled. For any of you young bucks out there getting ready to tie the knot I hope you realize what you’re in for . There is no escaping it and though we like to think our women will be understanding to our passion when you start having kids the true reality of being married with children will hit you like a ton bricks. 😂

1 - 20 of 101 Posts