The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to work this evening I hear some local sports guys speculating on who should be let go in the offseason. They figure Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, James Farrior, and Heinz Ward should all be let go. What do you guys think? Who do you think will be let go? And who do you think should be let go? I think that we have the replacemnts for all of the aforementioned guys already on the roster we could let them go and use the money elsewhere. On a side note I would like to see Heinz Ward become a WR coach and stay on and teach the WR's to block and run routes for years to come. I think Randall Gay could be released as well, I'm sorry but he's just not very good, we really need to address the CB situation in the draft or free agency. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just read that Ward wants to play next year and said he is willing to restructure his contract. That's nice but he's not getting many looks as it is and after Wallace, Brown, Sanders, I think Crotchery did a better job than Heinz this year. Ward also said if steelers release him he'll be looking to play somewhere else, I like Heinz but you gotta know when to say when, he has 2 Superbowls, a Superbowl MVP, and 1000 catches, it's time.

·
4,245 Posts
I agree with Smith, Hampton, and Ward. Farrier may be back for one more go. He isn't playing at the same level he used to but he was still decent.

Hampton is having ACL surgery and with that big body it won't be easy to play on. Smith should have hung it up last year.

I would take Cotchery over Ward at this point but I have a feeling that Cotchery played himself into a better contract with a different team. That said I hope they bring him back.

I would hate to see Ward in another jersey but if he wants to come back I am not convinced it will be in black & gold. The GF and I talked about this last night, she thinks he'll end up somewhere that has young receivers and/or has someone with a Steelers affiliation. (i.e. Arizona or Jacksonville)

This isn't a "What they need" thread but the need offensive lineman, corners, and defensive lineman.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Batch
A. Smith
W. Allen
Hampton
McFadden
Battle
Ward (unless he takes a huge contract reconstruction)
Foote or Farrior (maybe both)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Don't forget Wallace is a free agent this year, and if he doesnt take an offer from the Steelers they may be willing to part with him after the emergence of Brown and Sanders. It would allow for more money to sign rookies and free agents.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Wallace is a restricted free agent which means the Steelers would get some kind of compensation if he signed elsewehre. They need to sign him anyway.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Muzz said:
Batch
A. Smith
W. Allen
Hampton
McFadden
Battle
Ward (unless he takes a huge contract reconstruction)
Foote or Farrior (maybe both)
All of the above. Ward whether he resturctures or not.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Danesdad said:
Wallace is a restricted free agent which means the Steelers would get some kind of compensation if he signed elsewehre. They need to sign him anyway.
I'm sure they will sign him early, or maybe he'll agree to an extension.

Willie Colon has done nothing but waste salary cap money. I wish they would just get rid of him in a trade, but no ones would want him.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
ther steelers are way over the salary cap, $20 million, and that's with only 44 players under contract. that means all the older, high-priced players are gone or must restructure there contract. so that means players like hampton, smith, kemo, mcfadden, farrior, foote and ward are gone. i sure other minor player will go also like battle, allen, sepalvida, and the like. for those wanting gay gone, i feel you are wrong in that. gay played frairly well and is getting better, plus who do you get to replace him in this defense. hopefully some of the younger corners will step up and replace him but that's far from a sure thing. on offense i would not object to using mendenhal to trade up to get a better player in the draft.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
buckhunter said:
Just read that Ward wants to play next year and said he is willing to restructure his contract. That's nice but he's not getting many looks as it is and after Wallace, Brown, Sanders, I think Crotchery did a better job than Heinz this year. Ward also said if steelers release him he'll be looking to play somewhere else, I like Heinz but you gotta know when to say when, he has 2 Superbowls, a Superbowl MVP, and 1000 catches, it's time.

That would be "Hines" and not "Heinz" in this case I believe.

·
Registered
958 Posts
With the steelers defensive scheme is is not that easy to just replace guys. If you study their D roster you will see plenty of late round picks and unsigned guys that were 'groomed' and blossomed only after 'learning' for a few years...(Kiesel Harrison Foote Gay )that said, they do have guys who should be stepping into bigger roles and stardom...Ziggy Hood, time to show why your 1st rounder... Hayward may need another year, the D backs were and are serviceable, but with out a stud in the middle at nose tackle the 3-4 is not that effective in run stopping. I am concerned more about this position than any other. Hoke and Hampton have injuries and age against them. McClendon, although serviceable as a back up lacks the true size and strength to clog the middle. The D line has received alot of attention in recent drafts, If a manster is available I do see a NT drafted.

On the O side, the line needs help. Starks and Colon have age and injury, gilbert is only a rook, he will get better. they need an early pick or free agent help at guard and tackle positions

I think the draft and free agency will address the big men on both sides of the ball.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Hopefully they lose Bruce Arians (I can wish can't I?)

·
4,245 Posts
Colon and Kemo should have never been signed back up in the first place.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
who would you want other than BA. you want to instill a new offense that will take time to implement and there is no guarantee that it will be better. let's see, BA has taken the steelers to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, played in 2 super bowls and won 1 SB. pretty good record. but if you could find someone better i would but how do you know you'll find a better OC?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
As the players always say when they go somewhere else... "this is a business".
A. Smith
W. Allen
Hampton
McFadden
Battle
Ward
Foote
Farrior
Gay

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
what's wrong with colon? yea he's been hurt. but is that something against his talent? kemo is not worth his money and will be cut. the steelers will have to take the $1.5 million salary cap hit for the last 2 years of his contract.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Colon needs to take a large scale restructuring to an heavily incentive based . If he can't stay healthy, the Steelers shouldn't be stuck with a huge salary cap hit. If he stays healthy for a change, he's worth the money. Kemo should be cut, then re signed, then cut again for emphasis. He is one of the most useless linemen I have ever had the misfortune of watching. And hopefully, the Raiders hire Arians as OC. Honestly, if they could get a warm 6 pack of Schlitz and a low pick in the 2012 draft, I would unload Mendenhall. A top back does not finish with less than 1000 yards.

·
4,245 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
Colon needs to take a large scale restructuring to an heavily incentive based . If he can't stay healthy, the Steelers shouldn't be stuck with a huge salary cap hit. If he stays healthy for a change, he's worth the money. Kemo should be cut, then re signed, then cut again for emphasis. He is one of the most useless linemen I have ever had the misfortune of watching. And hopefully, the Raiders hire Arians as OC. Honestly, if they could get a warm 6 pack of Schlitz and a low pick in the 2012 draft, I would unload Mendenhall. A top back does not finish with less than 1000 yards.
For me that is the big part of the problem with Colon. Now we are talking about a big boy playing on a restructured achillies. The question becomes is he better than Starks or Gilbert? I don't know, I say maybe equal.

As far as Mendenhall goes, it is tough to run for 1000 yards behind a suspect o-line. He doesn't hit what little hole there is hard enough and the spinning is great.....when you're in the open field or penned up but he has to hit that hole. Lets not put all of our eggs in redman's basket either. He performed well but I think the dreaded spin bug got to him too, hopefully it works its way out of his system though.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
OK so some want to get rid of ariens. who is his replacement and what system does the replacement use. i love when people say get rid of so and so but don't have a plan for a replacement. the steelers have 44 players under contract now. some of you want to get rid of up to 10 more players, that leaves 16 more players to replace, where do all those guys come from and how to you pay for them?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts