The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old son caught a nice 18 inch rainbow trout today and we are debating if we want to get it mounted. What size do most people want the fish to be to get it mounted? Do most trout run about $11 an inch? I know some people wouldn't want anything mounted that is stocked, and I understand that. But this was a special moment. I asked my son what he wanted. One minute he says he wants it on his wall, the next minute he says he can't wait to eat it. We took some good pictures so I think we are just leaning toward getting an 8x10 photo for his wall and having the fish for dinner tomorrow.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Depending on what it is. My general rule is any trout over 20", preferably more like 24".

I caught an 18.5" brown a few years ago and I ALMOST decided to get it mounted simply because it had such beautiful coloration. Had it been a brookie, it would probably be on my wall right now.

I just caught an 18" golden on Monday and released it, so everyone is different.

Congrats to your son and here's to catching an even bigger one!

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I never got a trout mounted unless it was at least over 20". Now I wish I had never had any of them mounted. Most of them are just sitting in a box collecting dust.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Had a 13" wild brown inhale a spinner and end up around a log jam...ended up dying in my hand...its on my wall....big? Not by any means...but its a pretty fish...

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I wouldn't get one mounted..... Well, i'd get a replica, but wouldn't kill a trout just to mount it. I'd rather either eat it, or let it swim for another day.

After fully reading your post, i suggest taking measurements of length, girth, and lots of pics... take the measurements and pics to the taxidermist, get a replica, and FIRE UP THE GRILL!!!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I caught a big fat 22" golden last season. Took her to the taxidermist and let him take all the measurements and he took a ton of picture along with notes. Had a replica done, and she was delicious stuffed with wild mushrooms and crabmeat, along with some bay seasoning and garlic.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I say keep the measurement and photos for when he gets a little older. If he still talks about getting it mounted, surprise him with a replica. That fish would mean a lot to a young upcoming fisherman.

For me personally, I've caught so many breeders and goldens that it just seems cheesy anymore. I would probably mount a groundhog before a stockie trout.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
pilotjjc3 said:
My 5 year old son caught a nice 18 inch rainbow trout today and we are debating if we want to get it mounted. What size do most people want the fish to be to get it mounted? Do most trout run about $11 an inch? I know some people wouldn't want anything mounted that is stocked, and I understand that. But this was a special moment. I asked my son what he wanted. One minute he says he wants it on his wall, the next minute he says he can't wait to eat it. We took some good pictures so I think we are just leaning toward getting an 8x10 photo for his wall and having the fish for dinner tomorrow.
Go ahead and grill it up. Then maybe at Christmas surprise him with a nice replica.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Caught a couple 24" +never got mounted ..should of but didnt...my stepsons dad is getting 2 mounted from the boys opening day.16 5/8" brown and a 15 1/2 " pali...the kid has been wanting one on the wall for 6 yrs and now he finally caught the pali and the brown is his biggest...told him the next one is on his tab...lol...$10/" at the taxi....but it makes him happy

·
20,126 Posts
I think the days of getting fish mounted are coming to an end eventually. With the quality of today's photos and the fact that your fish will never look the same as when you caught it cause its painted, it just seems stupid to me to mount a fish. Stream pic are so much nicer then the thing on the wall and this is speaking from a guy that really doesn't care about trout being kept and killed. Just rather silly to pay for a mount these days with how awesome pictures can be. They're the mount of the future.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If he wants to get it mounted... GET IT MOUNTED! Who cares what size it is? Your son is obviously darn proud of that fish. When I was around 8, I caught a 16 inch smallie in Canada that I was very proud of. I begged my Dad to get it mounted and he did. I have caught dozens of larger smallies since then, but that mount is still a prized possession. When I moved into my new house in 2011 the first thing I scoped out was where I was going to put my smallie (and my antlers!) Get the trout mounted or a replica and he will cherish it forever.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
I think the days of getting fish mounted are coming to an end eventually. With the quality of today's photos and the fact that your fish will never look the same as when you caught it cause its painted, it just seems stupid to me to mount a fish. Stream pic are so much nicer then the thing on the wall and this is speaking from a guy that really doesn't care about trout being kept and killed. Just rather silly to pay for a mount these days with how awesome pictures can be. They're the mount of the future.
This is what I do as well. i print out my hero shots in an 8x10. Frames are about 5.00 and a photo is about the sames. 10 bucks and you get high quality pictures. I have a few put up in my office at work, and look at them daily.

If he wants it mounted then get it mounted. Check out our taxidermy forum. There are some outstanding ARTISTS there. Some of the fish they do look more like fish than the real fish does. Just do yourself a favor and contact the best person you can to do the job. If you are going to spend the money to get it done, no sense in going cheap with it.

And congrats on the nice fish.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i got a replica done of my 32" rainbow and it looks awesome hanging in my living room, next big brown i catch im getting it mounted and making a lamp out of it for my fly shop....to me its just like a deer if they are proud of the catch/kill and want it mounted then do it

·
Registered
666 Posts
"But this was a special moment."

It seems to me you answered your own question right there.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
TagOutInArchery said:
If he wants to get it mounted... GET IT MOUNTED! Who cares what size it is? Your son is obviously darn proud of that fish. When I was around 8, I caught a 16 inch smallie in Canada that I was very proud of. I begged my Dad to get it mounted and he did. I have caught dozens of larger smallies since then, but that mount is still a prized possession. When I moved into my new house in 2011 the first thing I scoped out was where I was going to put my smallie (and my antlers!) Get the trout mounted or a replica and he will cherish it forever.
My 1st was a trophy brookie that I got a Jr citation for( http://fishandboat.com/awardapp.pdf ) when I was 8. My uncle mounted that fish(not the best job as he was just starting out LOL) but it is still a prized possesion 40+years later.
My nephew liked my trophy wall so much that I promised to get his 1st trophy done. Which I did a 15" crappie, back when he was a youngster. I don't know if it's a prized possesion of his but I hope he remembers me and the times I took him fishing whenever he looks at it.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
If you can find the right taxidermist mounting a stocked trout is no problem. Here's a 20" rainbow I caught back in 2002 I had mounted. I think he did a great job with it.

The mount

·
Registered
264 Posts
2nd that mike, that guys work is absolutly amazing. The fish mounts look more real than the pictures of the live fish.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had several fish done when i was younger. All of them were over 2ft. I guess that was my mounting zone, trout had to be over 2ft for me to get them mounted. To this day I still look at them on the wall and relive the story of that day.

Most of mine where your typical breeders that were thrown in, But also have a nice brown and a nice walleye that I caught out of raystown spillway years back. I think my last mount was done when I was 18 and im now 31. I'm glad I got them mounted though. Nice to look back and remember.

If I ever get another one done I will get a replica for sure. That just wasnt a popular option back when I had mine done. Best of both worlds really. Fish on the wall, and didnt even have to kill it

1 - 20 of 52 Posts