The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys just bought a 257 weatherby mag stainless steel vangaurd 2 and wondering if you could suggest a good scope. I'll mostly be hunting deer here in pa but also some groundhogs and maybe a coyote. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
You have a fine rifle my congrats to you. Now dont put a $5.00 scope on it. I like Lupy, zeiss, and nightforce. A 4.5 x 14 is a nice scope works well for close woods and enough power for the Pa. fields.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Get a good quality scope with enough magnification to shoot well at longer distances. That caliber will reach out and getem. My opinion 3-9 is not enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys i was leaning toward the 4-14 myself just dont know what kind. I like nikon and i think ziess is out of my price. What do you guys like and do you like adjustable objective or not for deer hunting im just used to the old redfield 3-9.

·
Banned
751 Posts
NIKON 4.5X14X40 WITH SIDE FOCUS BUCKMASTERS, ON SALE AT NATCHEZSS.COM RIGHT NOW FOR 209.99 WITH BDC IN A REFURB. I HAVE 3 REFURBS AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. THERE WERE SILVER AND BLACK DEPENDING ON YOUR PREFERENCE. LENNY

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Right now I tend to go Nikon or Burris. I have several Leupold's and they have been terrific scopes and I never really regretted buying one but I have bought my last unless I find that they made a change. My issue with Leupold is that as I have gotten older and my eyes weaker, I find that I have to adjust focus on my scopes. Well - I sure was surprised one day to find that my Leupolds will only focus and sharpen the reticle but not actually focus the scope to your eyes. My Nikons will focus to my eyes and heck - I even had a $50 Simmons that would focus to my eyesight so that alone turned my off from Leupold. May not be an issue to some but has been a deal breaker to me. That being said in reasonably priced optics (if there is such a thing) you can't go wrong with Nikon, Burris, Leupold as the top 3 in my mind.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I would buy either a Vari-X III 3.5 x 10 or a 4.5 x 14 Leupold.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The 4.5-14 range is ideal for this gun and your application. We have several Nikons and Leupolds in stock I'll cut you a deal on if you are interested. Shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to get you a great deal.

Mac

·
Registered
715 Posts
I vote for the 4.5x14 Leupold, Not to sound like a smart a$$ but are you sure you are adjusting the focus properly? The odjustable abjective is for Parallax, to adjust the scopes focus to your eye loosen the locking ring on the eye piece, I like to screw the eye peice either in all the way or out all the way, then look at your crosshairs. The best way to do this is look at the sky through the scope, if the cross hairs are blurry adjust a half turn and look again, eventually you'll find the sweet spot. Once this is done put it to paper and adjust your parallax and you should be good to go. If you cannot get things into focus after that send the scope to Leupold and they will repair it. The problem you ae having is not your eyesight. I can assure you the glass on a simmons scope is not nearly as good as the glass on a Vari-X III.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have nothing against Leupold scopes. They make a great product. I would recommend the Nikon or the Burris simply because I believe you are getting just as good of a scope for a much more reasonable price. Most of my guns have Burris scopes on them and I have never had an issue. A friend of mine is a firm believer in the Nikon line. We have compared the two while hunting and find little difference between the Nikon and the Burris. I would be 100 percent confident with either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again everyone and mackgee ill keep you in mind i appreciate it alot im just going to have to wait just spent a pile of money to go to idaho in may for a week.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I think you can see on here the 4.5x14 is a great scope. Someone mentioned the 3.5x10 lupy but it and the 4.5x14 has the same body meaning weight and lenghth is the same so your better off with the benefit of having the higher power if need be. Optics are very important i would place them as top on the list along with quality mounts and rings that is over looked alot.

·
Super Moderator
7,821 Posts
Check out CameraLand (www.cameralandny.com). Minox scopes (3-15 would be my suggestion for this) are reasonably priced, among others he has on sale. Minox is also a strong competitor to the Zeiss Conquest. I have a 3-9 Minox and a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest, and I am hard pressed to give the optical advantage to either. The Minox dials are MUCH more user-friendly, however. Minox list here:

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-minox.html

Also, these...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Euro-Riflescopes/1216808.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcabela%2527s%2Beuro%2B%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=cabela's+euro+&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

....are great scopes, too. They are rebranded Meopta Meopro scopes, which are stellar for their price range.

Good luck!

·
Registered
309 Posts
i have a nikon monarch 4-16x50 on my 25-06. got it at the PA sportsmans show for about $360. they were on sale. i think they run around $480 noramlly. great scope. i have no problems with it, using it for deer and groundhogs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts