The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dixie 50 cal. Tenn Mountain Rifle, Flintlock, I usually shoot 60 grains patch and ball, It has been so long since I bought powder, not sure what to get ? I have plenty of primer powder. I have thought about trying PA pellets? not sure?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Pellets are not what you want. They are best used in inline muzzle loaders. They don't ignite as easily as black powder does. Get some FFF Goex black powder for your charge and FFFF for the pan. Goex powder is good but Swiss is also good and burns a little cleaner I think, but its a little more expensive. Good luck, good hunting.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I have a Dixie 50 cal. Tenn Mountain Rifle, Flintlock, I usually shoot 60 grains patch and ball, It has been so long since I bought powder, not sure what to get ? I have plenty of primer powder. I have thought about trying PA pellets? not sure?

If you can get Swiss black powder 2fg would be my first choice. If not available for you...then Goex 2fg. Some like Goex 3FG too. Most likely your guns safety manual(if you still have) recommends 2FG.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I would get 3F as If I remember correctly the ignition temp. for 3F is slightly lower than for 2F. If it was a .54 or largr I would go with 2F.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just don't use pellets or the pyrodex loose powder(RS or P)... Unless you like the fuse effect and a 1-2 second delay between pan going off then the gun going off. Took me about 1.5 seasons and 3-4 guys looking puzzled to finally figure out why. I use Goex for both charge and pan. 3F and 4F respectively. Others may have had luck with substitutes just letting you know I did not. My muzzleloader has a channel leading from the touch hole and does an L bend to get to the main charge so this may have had something to do with the delay. Having the main charge directly on the other side of the touch hole may make a difference. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Substitutes ignite at around 800 degrees(+or-) and Blackpowder ignites at around 300 degrees.Grades of blackpowder (Fg,FFg,FFFg and FFFFg) all come from the same makeup but different size grains.Kinda like kindling burns faster than a log,still same wood just different size pieces.
You want either FFFg or FFg for the charge.Both burn clean with the proper patched RB.

Here is a GOOD read for you. M/L Basics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts