The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remington 7600 30-06 in synthetic I am going to use as primary bear/deer rifle.

I've never had decent optics before, but the experienced guys all say that optics are more important than the rifle.

Family, house, 1 income, etc etc make a Zeiss or high end leupold impossible though.

What scope gives best value? Anyone have experience with center points? Or the Bushnell banner? A 4-12 would be nice as I like to zoom right in, but I'm open minded,

Been looking at used leupold vx2 and vx3 but still too pricy unless I trade something.

What budget scope are you using?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I have a bushnell trophy xlt on my 7600 and is a good scope with good glass for the money. I think I paid like $100 for it new from cabelas with rebate. Also I would look at the redfield line of scopes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a variety of scopes. Of the budget variety I like Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell Trophy XLT and Burris Fullfield II. Simmons makes a good scope for the money and believe it or not, I've had acceptable results with Tasco World Class.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
The Bushnell Banner is a good value for a guy on a budget. Like 5c said you can find the discontinued 3200's for under 100 bucks and they come with rainguard. Also, the max power I would go with is 3-9x40. My favorite deer rifle had a 1.5-5x20 varix 3 for years, it now has a 1.5-6 4200 on it. I never had a problem connecting with low power scopes.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have no complaints with the Nikon prostaff line. It has served me well, and I wouldn't think twice about buying another one.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I second and third if I could Nikon. I love their stuff. 95% of my firearms have a Nikon optic on them. I have not had one problem with them.

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Check out Vortex - I was in the Nikon camp for awhile and the Vortex to me looks like better glass.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Giving me some options to look at! Thanks a lot. Gonna learn what I want then see if I can strike a trade somewhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bought a Weaver Classic-K fixed 6x last winter to put on my 25-06 and I love that scope. It was $140 I believe because I, like you, didn't have the money for another Leupold and I always liked dad's old Weaver, so I figured I'd give the newer Weaver scopes a try, especially after reading good reviews. Very clear scope and accurate adjustments, with all the magnification necessary for shots out to 300 yards. Keep in mind what most people overlook, and by that I mean that fixed power scopes often have better glass for the price than say, a cheaper 2-7x or 3-9x variable of the same price. This is because there are virtually no moving parts inside of a fixed power other than the adjustment turrets, so the consumer will end up with very decent glass because it costs the manufacturer less to produce and assemble. Fixed power scopes have always been known for their bulletproof design, durability, and foolproof target acquisition because there is nothing to mess with come time to shoot at an animal. Food for thought.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I second vortex. Ran one on my F class rig and it worked great also the vip warrenty is great it really was no questions asked for me I printed out a paper from their website that wanted to know my name phone number email and shipping address no questions about what happened when I bought it proof of purchase why it happened excetera just send them the broken scope and you get a new one I'm pretty sure I could find a vortex scope in a trash can claim it is mine and theyeither fix it or give me a new one no questions asked

·
Registered
449 Posts
For me the budget scope would be the Nikon Prostaff. I have two of them and they are great for the price in my opinion. They are usually on sale several times a year as well. I also have a Bushnell Trophy XLT, that I like as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Go to sample list.com they have used scopes of every brand with good prices.I have purchased binoculars and scopes from them and have been pleased with purchases.I got a Burris Fullfield 2 from them and it a great scope.Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I know no one ever talks about them, but I got hooked on Mueler scopes a couple years back. I have yet to have a problem with them and I'm looking to upgrade my 223 scope and shuffle a couple around.

·
Super Moderator
2,485 Posts
5chunter said:
If you can find a bushnell elite 3200 for under $200 that is a great buy of a scope for the cash as well.

Firefly excluded

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would go with a NIKON if you on a buget.
Simons were good bargan scope but,im not sure there still in buisness.I have both brands and am very pleased wit both.I have a SIMMONS $$MAG on MY 22_250 Great light gathering scope.Use for CHUCKS and YOTES.
I have a NIKON on my 7600 280.No problems.
EITHER SCOPE were under $200.00

1 - 20 of 45 Posts