The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually post this question each year at season's end. What one (main) thing do you want to do prior to next spring season? For me it's the same as last year (several years!)...somewhat perfect my trumpet call. Gotta practice more.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Nothing really, Have the trigger group on one of my 20's at the gunsmith for some work. Have developed a Duplex load of TSS 8's over 9's for my 20's and next year.

·
Super Moderator
12,491 Posts
Buy and test some TSS 9's in all my 20's maybe even in one of my 12's, test my O/U 20 Ga. to see if there are any opportunities for good turkey patterns possibilities. If so maybe a camo dip, drill/tap and add a red dot.....get a good gobbler call, pick up a couple of new mouth calls.....get some Rage Xtreme turkey broad heads to test. Get my trail bike ready to go again.

What one thing? But most importantly when times are slow while setting over decoys hoping to hear a gobble.....to STOP using my new fangled smart phone to make list of things to do.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like beagler and fall gobbler said; find some more spots to hunt. A common theme lately is fewer turkeys and less gobbling. I have experienced the same thing in my core areas. I'm still killing gobblers but I can't rely on some of my traditional spots. I do all my hunting in the rugged mountains of 4A, B & D (never shot a gobbler in a field) so it can be tough hunting. I remember back in the early to mid 80's, it was tough finding birds. I would hike the high points and oak flats after a fresh snow in late winter looking for gobbler tracks and always was able to find the birds there when the season opened. So, I guess one thing I'll do is range out again in fresh snow this winter and find the birds.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Get more calls made and in stock before season. AND figure out how to get hunters to order prior to season.

Never fails to receive orders in season. Can I have the call before the end of the season, was asked all season. Got them covered but suffered sleep loss AM and PM.

As for hunting, perhaps invite Fall Gobbler to hear some gobbling next spring.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Get more calls made and in stock before season. AND figure out how to get hunters to order prior to season.

Never fails to receive orders in season. Can I have the call before the end of the season, was asked all season. Got them covered but suffered sleep loss AM and PM.

As for hunting, perhaps invite Fall Gobbler to hear some gobbling next spring.
This year, for some reason I got a ton of orders in-season (and I was just starting to catch up). I always tell the guys that I do not work on calls at all during hunting season and that I do have a waiting list. Everyone understands but I always feel obligated to get to that list ASAP, lol.

Oh, and I accept :grin2:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Talk as many people as I can out of AMBUSHING Gobblers while sitting in a blind surrounded by a flock of decoys and never making a single call..to STOP IT !!! Seems this is the favorite NEW method of harvesting, it has ruined the integrity of our sport..." Hunting is by CALLING ONLY "

·
Registered
312 Posts
Talk as many people as I can out of AMBUSHING Gobblers while sitting in a blind surrounded by a flock of decoys and never making a single call..to STOP IT !!! Seems this is the favorite NEW method of harvesting, it has ruined the integrity of our sport..." Hunting is by CALLING ONLY "
Amen. I wrangled with a bird in the ANF last Saturday for over 4 hours. Bushwacked down one slope and up the other just to get in the game. 300 vertical feet each way. No kill but I chose to do that and at 60 years old, I only have so many of those left in me. The day will come where all I can do is sit in a blind on the farm across the road from the house where I know one will show up at some point in the day. I bought a hunting license. Not a sitting license.

Anyhow to answer the original question, I think I'll find someone that typically sits in a blind and invite him/her to join me on a mountain hunt.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Do more pre season scouting and include scouting some new areas. I scouted more this year than all my other years combined and it really paid off.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Get some snow camo? The one good oppo I had this year, bird picked me right out at 50 yards....hunting with 2" of snow on the ground in mid-May was a different experience.

I dabbled pretty hard this year. I don't usually turkey hunt much and I hunted a lot more than I normally would due to kung flu effects, chiefly Ohio shutting down fishing. Next year Rona willing I'll be back to fishing trips in May and hopefully that helps abate some of the major public land crowding I experienced this year. It was terrible on weekends and only a little better the couple weekdays I got out. Oh well such is the grind of public land hunting.

Even being a casual turkey hunter it was downright awful in terms of goobling. For me that really boils down to a quality of experience issue. I refuse to ambush a turkey. I can sit in a tree for 14 hours straight waiting on a deer but I just can't get there for 10 pounds of sub-grade poultry and some super unimpressive bony foot protrusions.

I know the birds pretty well and know some areas I could plop my rear down and wait one out, but I refuse to do that for turkeys. Realistically with that consideration in mind it has me leaning toward a March/April trip out of state somewhere to find a better hunting experience.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Amen. I wrangled with a bird in the ANF last Saturday for over 4 hours. Bushwacked down one slope and up the other just to get in the game. 300 vertical feet each way. No kill but I chose to do that and at 60 years old, I only have so many of those left in me. The day will come where all I can do is sit in a blind on the farm across the road from the house where I know one will show up at some point in the day. I bought a hunting license. Not a sitting license.

Anyhow to answer the original question, I think I'll find someone that typically sits in a blind and invite him/her to join me on a mountain hunt.
What a joke! I can run and gun with the best of them but there are more than one way to skin a turkey. If legal have at it. Some guys aren’t good or able to run and gun so does that mean they’re to sit at home? How about taking a youngster in the rain.... sorry kid you can’t hunt today because a couple guys think we’re weak If we sit in a blind today. Hunt the way you want and enjoy it all.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
Always verify that my action locks when I load up. I learned that lesson the hard way. Other than that, not much. I have good spots with lots of turkey...I may set up some trail cams just for fun.

My big thing this year was putting a scope on the Benelli SBE2. It’s a game changer.

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
Do a lil more patterning work at the range. Since mounting scope only patterned at 40 yds. Want to pattern at 15-20 and at 50.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's actually a really good point Loggy. When I put my red dot on my new Mossberg back in '07 I sighted it in at 40 yards and checked the pellet count on a turkey head target at 45. What a game changer that red dot was. But, I shot my 2017 bird at 14 yards and almost missed him :grin2: Often thought I should pattern it at 15 yards but never did.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Take the shot when you have it. I tell my self every year, but every year I have one instance where I hesitated and lost my chance. I worked a hard gobbling bird this year the third week of the season, and as he was getting closer, I was certain I was going to fill my third and final tag. But it was that classic setup where he's just over the lip of a ridge, and you don't know where he's going to pop out. Well when he periscoped at 15 yards, my gun was about a foot to the right of him. Instead of swinging fast and make it happen, I waited thinking he would walk behind a tree and I could swing. But, that was all he was going to show me and walked off and went quiet. He knew where the hen was supposed to be.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Even being a casual turkey hunter it was downright awful in terms of goobling. For me that really boils down to a quality of experience issue. I refuse to ambush a turkey. I can sit in a tree for 14 hours straight waiting on a deer but I just can't get there for 10 pounds of sub-grade poultry and some super unimpressive bony foot protrusions.
This is pretty clever. You gave me a good laugh today when I read this.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts