The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question comes up again. What one thing do you want to do differently for next year? Even if you were successful doesn't mean there isn't room for change/improvement. Mine is to find a few more spots...I found signs of "infiltration" this year so will be doing some March and April scouting.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Mine would be to try to gain permission earlier from a couple near by farms.
( where all the birds were this year) lol

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
To let go of old school and put some sort of red dot on my gun.........or buy a new gun. can't miss any more birds because i have to aim low.

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
Maybe use some vacation time for the 4th week of the season. I always end up hearing a good bit of gobbling in my area at the end of the month for some reason. This year was no exception. Also, I have learned that evenings can be productive for gobbling if you find the right bird. I heard more gobbling one evening than I did the entire season form a bird so it pays to go out there if you have the time. Last, keep an open mind. It's not all about killing a bird. There is scouting to be done for deer season and you never know what else you might see. My last day out I hade a bear walk in 30 yards behind me which ended up being one of the highlights of my season.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Gobbler Hunter said:
To let go of old school and put some sort of red dot on my gun.........or buy a new gun. can't miss any more birds because i have to aim low.
Ha sounds like me for years! I was so stubborn. And it costs me birds every year. Do yourself a favor and invest some money in a Burris fasfire 3, and switch to hevishot. It will change your world.

·
Registered
436 Posts
find more spots. my biggest challenge every year is avoiding other hunters. when given a chance to go one-on-one with a longbeard, i'll always put money on me, but when i have a couple other guys on the property going after him too, its make it a little tough. its no different than deer season- biggest challenge is other hunters ruining the area.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
For me it's patience patience patience. When I'm working a bird, if he quits gobbling, and doesn't give me the impression he's coming in, I give up on him. I've always hunted areas where I could just move on a find a bird that was ready to come to the gun.

Next year, I will give him more time. My buddy, who I might add shot an incredible 14 birds this spring among various states, suggested giving it 45 minutes to an hour. His experience is often times they will come in silently then.

I don't know. That's going to be tough for me, but I'll try.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
VaPa hunter said:
Gobbler Hunter said:
Ha sounds like me for years! I was so stubborn. And it costs me birds every year. Do yourself a favor and invest some money in a Burris fasfire 3, and switch to hevishot. It will change your world.
I'm doing the same thing, putting on a FastFire 3
Did you go with the 3 MOA or the 8 MOA?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Goosehunter said:
VaPa hunter said:
Gobbler Hunter said:
I'm doing the same thing, putting on a FastFire 3
Did you go with the 3 MOA or the 8 MOA?
IMO, the 3 MOA is plenty big enough. And you can manually select one of the 3 brightness settings, which makes the brightest setting actually look bigger because of how it glows

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Turkeyman said:
What one thing do you want to do differently for next year?
That's a hard question. I shot one gobbler on May 10, and it was the only one I got to work. He was a mid-morning bird, and with another gobbler.

The turkeys I hunted used the property differently than any of the previous five years I've hunted this property. They were almost completely silent. I never got to work a bird off the roost, and heard them gobble from the roost only twice all season I hunted 21 or 22 days and heard gobbling on only four of those days.

Once the hens began incubating, instead of looking for more girls and becoming easier to call, it seemed like the gobblers went to their gobbler cave and refused to come out or even talk to anyone. I saw or heard hens almost every day, and the gobblers weren't even interested in the real thing.

The only thing I think I could have done differently would be to have gone deeper into the broad valley, where the next property is posted, and try to get something going there. I don't think it would have been productive because the cover is so thick and it's very difficult to get there in the dark, but it was the only thing I didn't try.

I wonder if anyone really knows why turkeys gobble. I know there are theories relating it to weather, moon, barometric pressure, and other factors, but I doubt anyone knows why turkeys would not gobble for almost the entire season through a variety of conditions.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Only buy one tag and take other guys out to get a bird. I killed one on the 1st day and called 2 others in for my buddies.

Nothing beats seeing a good friend grinning from ear to ear

·
20,166 Posts
More properties.....thats my goal for next year. I can't keep chasing the same lesser productive farms around my area. I've 'earned' some easy spots with more birds lol.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
More properties.....thats my goal for next year. I can't keep chasing the same lesser productive farms around my area. I've 'earned' some easy spots with more birds lol.
X22023923 - I've been having to work wayyyy too hard for this. lol.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I am working on it now. Bought Weatherby SA-459 (20ga)
Have a Buris Fast Fire 3 on its way, and also a Sumtoy .562-5 coming for it. After seeing the 20ga results with the #9 TSS. I will nerver shoot a 12 ga again.

Some satisfaction comes from killing gobblers with shells I load myself.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I need to re-evaluate using a single pin for hunting turkeys with a bow. I missed two this year and one last year. Unlike hunting a deer from a stand the movement needed to adjust a pin if needed is impossible in the presence of a turkey. Also being a right handed shooter making adjustments for a bird circling to your right is hard enough with a shotgun, but really hard with a bow. I need to practice more shooting from the seated position when my body is not exactly in the best position.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts