The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure every new individual like myself who gets into yote or fox hunting always asks what to do to be successful at night hunting and we take in several good pieces of knowledge and apply it to the field. But after so many times in the field now with no eyes I am beginning to think "what not to do"

So I am looking for advice now on what not to do. Or what do you think beginners usually do wrong.

I have some basics already. I have my gun selected, have scanning lights, have a foxpro wildfire with the pre programmed sounds, have camo and scent block, and a poor kill light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
try to make the least amount of noise possible going into a stand. Also try to be as hidden as possible while still having good visual

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I read this at work where I couldn't respond...wanted to make sure I did when I got home.

Starting tomorrow morning I will:

*Be satisfied to do three set ups right rather than 5 set ups wrong

*Not call a spot where the wind is wrong, but I just know there are preds there

*I will sneak into my spot

*I will sit for a while, (longer than 5 minutes) to let things calm down

*I will spray down with scent control stuff before heading in

* I will not call the spot closest to the road

*I will stay on stand longer

Let's see if I see more eyes......

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
Slip on the ice underneath the snow landing on your gun only to find your scope on the ground when you get up....... lol

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Fell through the ice one night almost waist deep while attempting to call on a local pond. Temps were near ten degrees at the time. Not good, had a hard time getting out, ice kept breaking.
Always be careful out on the ice!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Not scout.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are some good replies. And a few funny ones also.

I made one huge decision for myself... leave my noisy friends at home.
My father thought me young to walk quietly and pick your feet up when you walk. My friends sound like if you were to take yuppy girls in the woods. Kicking rocks and snapping twigs every other step thinking there is a prize for being the noisiest thing in the woods.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
beagler said:
Fell through the ice one night almost waist deep while attempting to call on a local pond. Temps were near ten degrees at the time. Not good, had a hard time getting out, ice kept breaking.
Always be careful out on the ice!
I remember that, Chet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts