The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it happened again. Less than a week since I resighted the Xbow it went out, not so much that it would have caused a lost, wounded deer, but enough (2" high/2" right) that I figure it's time....again. Each time I offload, I do it from a steady rest into my block target @ 20 yds. This way, I monitor the POI of the crosshair.

This scope is a Nikon Bolt with the little circles for each 20 yds. I sight it, it groups, within a week it's out of zero. I resighted again after the morning hunt, and it was once again 5 clicks right/5clicks left. This can't continue.

We have a bunch of guys who use Xbows on here, and I'm sure some of you have been up against the problem, so.... which brand scope is up to the task of maintaining zero on a crossbow? Or have I had the answer all along with my choice of Leupold for rifle and slug gun scopes, but wasn't bright enough to carry it over to my bowhunting?

·
Registered
19,662 Posts
Hawke. A company that has embraced crossbows and their users. They produce many different crossbow scopes from budget models to higher end. Find one within your budget, sight it in and go hunting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also have a Nikon Bolt on my PSE Fang. I may have the same issue.
I checked the sight-in from last season and found it 2-1/2" right at 20 yards.
I made the adjustments and all was well out to 40.

After a week or so I checked it again and found it 2-1/2" right!
This was all from my rifle bench rest.

What kind of accuracy can you expect from a crossbow?
I surely expected better than this.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also have a Nikon Bolt on my PSE Fang. I may have the same issue.
I checked the sight-in from last season and found it 2-1/2" right at 20 yards.
I made the adjustments and all was well out to 40.

After a week or so I checked it again and found it 2-1/2" right!
This was all from my rifle bench rest.

What kind of accuracy can you expect from a crossbow?
I surely expected better than this.
Mine is in transit as we speak. Nikon said it carries a lifetime warranty, even though I no longer have proof of purchase.
My BOLT XR has had the issue on and off, but it seems to "vibrate" off zero on the ride to the deer woods. The groups opened up a bit over time as well, but I thought it was me getting older.

Initially my crossbow was accurate enough to break the previous bolt at 30 yds so I shot different spots. Now it's about 3" @30yds. Maybe you should give them a call. 1 800 064 5678. You'll need the serial number, it's under the ajustments on the bottom.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I have a ten point 'take off' which was made by hawke. dealer was selling them on ebay for $80 - $90 after he upgraded the units he had for sale.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's seeming pretty hard to argue with the obvious following that Hawke has developed from crossbow hunters! It's like Hawke is the Leupold for the bowhunters.

I've started shopping for a Hawke, looks like roughly $250 is ball park for what I'm looking for. In the meantime I did what Elaine suggested, (maybe not bright enough to carry my Leupold fanatisism over to crossbow, but I'm smart enough to do what wifey suggests), and the 1X4X20 Leupold is once again mounted and sighted in with a 25 yd zero to get me back into the treestand come morning. :smile2:

Thanks guys!:smile2:

·
Registered
715 Posts
An interesting thing to try with any scope is to hold whatever its mounted to, rifle or Xbow, solid. Look through the scope and try to move the eyepiece up and down or left and right. Its amazing to see the crosshairs move on most inexpensive and a few of the higher end scopes. I have yet to see a leupold, Nightforce, Zeizz fail that test . Its been a few years, but I have yet to see a lower end scope pass it.

I'd be interested to see how the Hawke stands up to it. I'd like to have an illuminated reticle, my Zeizz XB75 doesn't have it

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
An interesting thing to try with any scope is to hold whatever its mounted to, rifle or Xbow, solid. Look through the scope and try to move the eyepiece up and down or left and right. Its amazing to see the crosshairs move on most inexpensive and a few of the higher end scopes. I have yet to see a leupold, Nightforce, Zeizz fail that test . Its been a few years, but I have yet to see a lower end scope pass it.

I'd be interested to see how the Hawke stands up to it. I'd like to have an illuminated reticle, my Zeizz XB75 doesn't have it

You're absolutely right that higher end scopes have a much better stability where paralax is concerned. Leupold claims the 100 yd paralax setting of it's riflescopes will vary no more than one or two inches at 300 yds. Of the six Leupolds I own, three have fixed paralax settings that verify that claim, and the others, 4X12X40, and two 6.5X20X40 have adjustable settings.

Nikon just sent an email to varify both receipt of the Bolt, and that there is a problem 100% covered under warranty, so the Nikon gets one more chance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’ve just gotten back into archery and X-Bows and shooting a new to me Tenpoint Stealth SS. I’m going to switch the scope out for a HHA Optimizer and I’ve got a 1.8-5.5 Zeiss scope looking for a home I think will work nicely. Wish I still had the ILL Kahles CSX 1.5-6x42 or C FFL version that matched reticles. Both would be near perfect but the Zeiss should work well. If you’ve got a spare rifle scope either the Ravin Jack Plate it HHA Optimizer might be a better path.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts