The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up fellas/ladies. First off, I usually post a lot on the Archery forum because I really enjoy archery hunting. Anyway, my buddy keeps telling me how ML Hunting is a lot like archery and that I should give it a shot. What type of ML can I get for around $200, I dont want to go too hardcore on a ML since this would be my 1st year hunting with one.......

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I hunt with a bow and a flintlock, and I personally think that flintlock hunting is more of a challenge. If I were you though, I'd spend a little more money and get either a T/C Firestorm or Hawken. These are great guns and will last you the rest of your life.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gstiegeljr said:
I hunt with a bow and a flintlock, and I personally think that flintlock hunting is more of a challenge. If I were you though, I'd spend a little more money and get either a T/C Firestorm or Hawken. These are great guns and will last you the rest of your life.
How much would one of those cost me? It was my b-day last week so I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket, HA.......

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
G2CDeer said:
gstiegeljr said:
How much would one of those cost me? It was my b-day last week so I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket, HA.......
Probably around $400 for the Firestorm and $600 for the Hawken. There are always used ones posted on HPA for reasonable prices (like the one above).

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I gave up archery years ago for the muzzy.

Other than custom,I would stick with either older Thompson Center Hawkens and Renagade or Lyman Great Plains RIFLE(not hunter 1:32 ROT),Trades Rifle,or Deerstalker.The 50cal does fine and Rb's and patches are at most shops.

Don't go cheap!A poor man can only afford the best!

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
$200 for a flinter...you are pretty much limited to a used gun. I would look for a used TC Hawken or a Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Loggy is dead on correct here. Look for a used Lyman or Tompson Center flintlock. Make sure the barrel has been cared for properly. The barrel and the lock are the heart of your rifle, and if they're in good condition, you will undoubtedly become a flintlock addict in short order. Best wishes!

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Its a shame that TC stop making the PA Hunter Flintlock. A great slow twister priced less than the Hawken. If you can find a PA Hunter...another fine choice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts