The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a firestorm yesterday and want to know what loads works for you? Do you like the performance of this gun? Seems the trigger pull is awful and can't see any adjustment. Ya got any cures?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I also shoot a firestorm. In my opinion, you can't buy a better flintlock for PA deer hunting. Its weather resistant, fiberoptic sights are really nice, and it is just the right length. I sent mine back to TC in the off season and had them clean up the trigger free of charge. It made a noticable difference. Still a little stiff, but I can live with it now. As for loads, mine will shoot any bullet in the 295 grain range excellent. Powerbelts are what I've been using since I bought the gun (295 HP) but lately I have been experimenting with some less expensive bullets with very good results. Yesterday I shot the Buffalo Bullet Company Special Purpose Sabot hollow point bullet and got better results than ever. Hopefully I get to test them on a deer in a few days. As for powder, shoot the real stuff, 100 grains GOEX 2F in the barrell, 4F in the pan. I am not a fan of the synthetic powders for flintlocks. The guns are designed to shoot black powder, and 9 times out of 10, you will get better results with it. I see way too many hangfires and erratic grouping with the synthetic powders out of flintlocks. Good luck with the gun. You'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Mine likes 110 grains Goex 2F with a 240 grain Hornady 45 cal. pistol bullet tucked into a T/C Mag Express sabot. 4F in the pan.
Wouldn't a set trigger be a nice addition for this gun?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I shoot 80 Grains with a round ball. It tears them up when you hit'em. The recoil down and less fire coming out the end of the barrel. Less chance the woods will start on fire. lol

·
Registered
699 Posts
I forgot to mention...Change your flint. The TC premiums are OK, but I prefer an English or a German flint. They make a world of difference in the amount of spark you get.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
arrowhead said:
Mine likes 110 grains Goex 2F with a 240 grain Hornady 45 cal. pistol bullet tucked into a T/C Mag Express sabot. 4F in the pan.
Wouldn't a set trigger be a nice addition for this gun?
Heck ya!! I am for double set triggers on most all muzzleloaders. The only exception would be a fowler on fast birds.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I shoot a Firestorm and use 350gr T/C Maxi hunters being pushed by 120gr of 2F Goex,4F in the pan and get good results.Polished the trigger to lighten it up,but its still a little stiff.Deadly out to 75yds,can still a hit a paper plate @ 100yds. Also like what was mentioned above about changing the flint,the german flints last longer.Heck mine will even fire sometimes without flash powder.Great choice in a flintlock.Good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
100 grains of 2f Goex and a 320 grain Lee REAL bullit.4f in the pan and Tom Fuller english flints. Cleaned up my trigger with a jewelers file.Dropped one in her tracks last year at 65 yds.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
T/C Frizzens and German Flints are like PB&J, it just works
Bevel down of course.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I switched to 240 Hornady and 100gr 777, I put 10 Gr of 2ff in first. At 50 yards Im 4" groups, at 100 6+. Real happy with gun, trigger is worst part. Still need to find better flints!

·
Registered
19,662 Posts
I throw 100 grains of 2F down the pipe, followed by a TC Maxi-Hunter.

I then close my eyes, pray and pull the awful trigger hoping to hit what I am aiming at. Seriously, I think I shoot better with my eyes closed than open with these things.

Admittedly, due to a lack of practice. I keep my shots within 40 yards.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i shoot 75g 3f and a 223 grain power belt and at 50 yards i can knock the bullseye out the target.last year i killed a 8 point at 65 yards running across a feild and dropped him in his tracks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My brother has a blued Firestorm inside of the trigger guard there is a small allen screw where you can adjust the pull. I got a stainless Firestorm and it does not have this feature. His pull is about 4lbs mine is 14lbs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine is blued also but,no screw in threaded hole in trigger guard. Does anyone else have this?? Was it something that TC discontinued??

·
Registered
45 Posts
I shoot 70 grains of 3f followed by a 320 grain maxiball with great success. Also, for those of you that want a double set trigger for your firestorm, Check out Dave Logan from Harrisburg. He put a double set trigger on my firestorm and it makes a world of difference.
Dave Logan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts