The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did your camp get started? How was the location chosen? Our camp went up in the early 1950's on Boone Mountain in Clearfield County. Our original 5 members, who we call the Olde Guarde, had hunted that area since right after WWII. They used to stay at Margaret Bundy's farm up on Beers Road. Margaret made a little extra money in the fall by boarding hunters during deer season. Margaret never admitted it, but the guys knew she was feeding them venison. She'd stew apples in her wood burning cook stove and put them out in the back pasture to lure the deer into range for her old rifle. She'd pop one from the back door and then yell up at the guys, "HEY! WHO'S SHOOTING UP THERE!?" One night they heard her shoot and pretty soon she came up the steps and told the guys she had a deer laying out in the middle of the road, and would they go drag it in? Thinking he was dealing with a dead deer, Dad and his buddies went out in their skivvies with nothing more than an hammer. Turns ot the deer was far from dead, and after chasing it across the street, and through the next fence and pasture, they gave up and went home. Many great stories from over the years. I can't wait to get back on the hill for deer season this year. When my granddaughter is old enough to hunt, she will be the first member of the 4th generation of our family to hunt deer out of our camp.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Dad went up to Oswayo, with an old neighbor of his when he was in high school back in 1952 when he was a senior. In 1975 , he went up with my moms older brother, 2 years later I went with them. Went there until 1981 , 1983 we stated hunting with a friend that had a cabin near Gold. In 1995 my parents bought land between Ulysses and Mills. 2000 they built the cabin. Shot several deer off the land and dads first bear, and a couple of turkeys. I wouldn`t trade it for anything. A lot of good memories were made there and the other places as well . We have been going up since 1976 or 1977 together to northern otter County.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oswayo! Nice. I cut my teeth hunting the hills in Shinglehouse area of Potter County. Its been nearly 30 years since I roamed the hills of the Oswayo Valley. To this day I still vividly remember the haunts we chased turkey and deer. We had no camp. We lived in the basement of a wonderful family.

·
Registered
25,519 Posts
Family ties, in our case. My dad was born/raised in Potter. In 1940, he and a brother bought a farm north of Westfield in Tioga County, close to the Potter line. Dad was drafted prior to Pearl Harbor, served in WWII and never returned to the farm after the war. That uncle's dairy farm is where I started hunting deer in 1960 and continued as often as I could get up there for deer seasons.

Up until 1969, when one of dad's sisters sold their farm between Mills and North Bingham, also hunted over there several times. That's the farm I spent summers at when I was a little feller. My cousins kept part of it near the Four Winds dairy operation, when their parents farm was sold. Still have our clan reunions there each Labor Day.

Spring of 1970, my uncle gave us part of a separate parcel on his farm. We did some work to make a spot for an RV, had electric service put it and used that, until the "little house" over at my uncle's farm became available in 1972. Haven't missed a deer season there, since. Finally built a small cabin on our land in 1980 and by then, we'd bought the rest of that 29 acre parcel from my uncle.

Once had the freedom to hunt just about anywhere around there, until some of the area farms began to change hands over the past 20 years. Can still hunt much of the area if I want to, as I've known most of our neighbors my entire lifetime? Unlike the 60s, when deer were scarce around there, these days it's a deer hunting paradise, with some really good bucks since ARs and oodles of doe. Only downside as I've gotten older, is the three hour drive.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
hunterdan199, take your time and look for what you want and like. It took my parents and I several years till we found what we wanted, wouldn`t trade for anything. Good luck and you`ll know it when you find it.

·
Super Moderator
5,043 Posts
My Mother was born in Moshannon, near Snow Shoe. Dad was also from Centre County ( near Osceola Mills ). They moved to Butler in 1958, the year I was born. I spent nearly all my summers in Moshannon, and it was where I started hunting in 1971 and fishing in 1963. I got a piece of ground from my uncle in 1994 ( from a tract that originally belonged to my great- great grandfathers farm ), and set a 14x70 housetrailer. In 2009, I built on the property and camp is a second home for me. Go there every week for 2-3 days. ( 122 miles, 2 hour 3 minutes)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Bought our 38 acre camp in NE Bradford Co. In 2010. Timing was kinda bad as the gas boom was starting and land prices goin up. If we had the money a few years earlier could have paid a lot less. Is what it is , last payment will be made in 2 more years! Buddy and me went halves on it and same guy who sold us the land subdivided an adjoining 36 acre that my buddy bought a few years ago. Gas pad is on another connecting 50 acre parcel and owner allows us to hunt that as well. Other than the pad construction and drilling period , we have had no issues with gas company messing up any of our hunting and if anything the turkey hunting is better near the pad. Our criteria was a mix of woods, fields, water, no farm dumps. Big bonus is 6k acres of gamelands within walking distance. Took 2 years of looking to find it. We also had a 3 hour drive time limit but this place was 3 1/2. Well wort the extra time. I wish I was able to afford to buy 20 years ago when younger and land was cheaper but it is what it is. Hope to build a cabin in the next 10 years but the 32’ camper serves just fine. A lot of hard work got us where we are today and the dividends are paying in spades.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Wald Jager, my dad wishes the same as you. He wishes he could have had the money to buy a farm or two or some acreage back in the early sixties and sold them now. He could have made his investment back and then some. But mom and him couldn`t swing it back then.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
In the 20's Pappy found this lake in the Poconos had a house with two ladies related to the family who owned the General store in Marshalls creek. $0.50 to fish all day and he got to know the owners and they were open to him hunting and he found out about the state forest leases and got one nearby in 1927.

Lake was developed into a 'community' in the late 50's/early 60's and Pappy wasn't too happy about loosing his hunting grounds...Dad drove me back through all the cottages to the head end of the lake to point out the big rock he used to sit on.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Family went on a long weekend to Bedford Springs for Easter one year. Loved the area and the town of Bedford. Decided to start looking in this area for a camp. Friend of a friend was looking to sell his camp. Went up and looked at it and fell in love with the cabin (which was more like a small house). Plus it backed up to game lands. 2 months later it was ours. That was 2 years ago. Still figuring out the deer movement but we have taken 2 deer and several pheasants on the game lands.

·
Super Moderator
2,485 Posts
I wasn’t really looking for a cabin,( I have my grandparents farm in Wayne county - Still hunting the same ground since young) till I was invited to Clinton county for hunting predator. Never realized how nice central Pa is. Looked for a few years and after many day trips out I finally found what I was looking for , only in Potter county. Don’t use it for hunting, just long weekend retreats and vacation. A nice little slice of heaven.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I had lost my camp in the divorce and a few years later, a guy from work asked if I was interested in getting another one. He thought his wife was going to leave him and he wanted to hid some money. I bought it and left him keep a key to the place. His wife never left him so he bought a Harley. He stopped in a couple times on his Harley. He died 6 years later from cancer.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
My father and I went in on a place in Forest county. He was more excited about the actual camp than I was, so we bought it. After a couple years, the deteriorating condition of the place lead us to the fateful decision to tear it down and build a new one. We spent one season getting rid of the old place, then started building. At first, a gang of my dads friends would come up and we'd get a lot done. As time went on, these people drifted away until it was only my dad and myself. Eventually, even my dad lost interest and I was left with basically a shell. In the meantime, I got married and had a son and my dad retired. Life changed. And , for twenty years, very little was done to advance the camp to completion. Actually, if not for the help of a friendly local, probably nothing would have been done. I just don't have the time, knowledge, money or manpower to complete it. I've also grown old and realize that I'll never finish it. This realization used to anger and frustrate me. At one point I considered selling it, but I've made friends there and my son loves the place. Maybe he will finish it someday. These days, my son and I go up a few times each year (it's not suited to stay in during rifle deer season) and just putz around and relax. Help locals with their projects. If I had to do it all over again I would have either bought a better place initially, or replaced the old camp with one of those prefab camps that you just set on posts and call it good.

My advice for anyone considering building a place: Complete it as fast as you can. Life circumstances have a way of changing, and priorities can become afterthoughts in the blink of an eye. Don't get caught in the middle like me.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
We had a realtor help us find our land and did some searching on our own as well. The realtor found it and did all the paperwork and legal stuff for us. That was in 1995 my parents bought the 15 acres and then they bought another 10 from a neighbor after they built our cabin in 2000. Never regretted it.

·
Registered
25,519 Posts
Realtors! One of my "flat land" cousins from Dauphin Co, PA, bought a place in Steuben Co, NY several years ago. It's actually less than 5 "air" miles from my place in Tioga Co, PA.

Realtor took him to look at the place, used a circuitous route from over near Wellsboro. So that's the only way my cousin knew how to get there at first. About the third time up and on his way home, he decided to make a right turn at the end of the county dirt road to his camp. He quickly realized it was within a mile of my camp, when he recognized the little village/church close to the state line on that road. He'd been to my camp years before with his brother that lives in Wellsboro, who he was hunting with.

Going right at the end of that dirt road (and back into PA), instead of left like he'd been doing before, cut about 20 miles off of his trips to camp. Said if he got over near the Realtor's office someday, was gonna kick the guy in the shins.

😎

1 - 20 of 24 Posts