The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

What kinda pump shotgun

5K views 38 replies 35 participants last post by  Pine-Creek 
#1 ·
Do you have or want to get?

#13 ·
My only pump gun is a Mossberg 500 ABR. My Dad bought it new sometime back in the late '60's, early 70's. 30" Barrel, Full choke.

The thing throws an amazing pattern right on the bead with Federal or Winchester low brass. Remingtons.....not so much.

With the right shells, the block shoots are fun.....Even with the screw-in choke guns being allowed now, I still win at least 1 out of 3 shoots that I enter.

One I went to a couple years back, I entered 8 shoots (15 shooters at $2 a shot in each shoot. Closest to the "X" wins). I won 6 of them and got about 75 bucks worth of meat trays. Then won a shoot for a Ham....$2 bucks for a 16 pound ham.

That old Mossberg ain't much to look at.....But Man, does it shoot! Even fills the freezer once in a while.

#18 ·
I have:
-Browning BPS 16 ga, 26" barrel
-Remington 870 Supermag with a 28" field barrel, 24" turkey barrel and a cantilever rifled slug barrel.
-Ithaca Model 37 with a polychoke that was my grandfathers wedding gift from my grandmother.

I like 'em all!

I would really like to get the new Ithaca waterfowler model with a 30" barrel. I think I would use it as a trap gun as well.

#22 ·
John-PA said:
I've got several 870's, never seen a need for any other pump shotgun.
I'm with ya. The first gun I ever bought was a Remington 870 express 20 gauge, 20 odd years later it still makes the trip out and does the job. It's brought home every game PA has to offer. I wish other things in life were as reliable as my old shotgun. For myself, I personally would never ever carry another... not saying I don't own others.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.