The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm look at .22's and I found a few but I was wondering what is a good brand that makes them?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
ammo or rifles??

I'll answer on ammo unless you say otherwise. The best ammo in Rimfire is the one that your rifle shoots the best. If just for plinking, I'd get a box of 50 each of CCI, Remington, and Winchester; and head to the range.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rifle sorry I didn't put that. Thanks for the help on ammo to that will help.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Savage, Marlin ,Ruger,etc... just depends on how fancy you want it and how much you wanna spend. For a cheap one,its hard to beat a marlin.For a fancy one, Iwould look at a CZ or a Weatherby

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I agree - on the cheap end- hard to beat a Marlin, then go to Savage - I personally have a Ruger 77/22 which is very accurate and has been a great rifle. The CZ's are top notch for the money and if you care to go high end look to Anschutz. Just depends on your budget and what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You should really decide what you want it for....hunting, target, plinking. then think about the action types.

Autos fire fast are cheap, and the 10-22 is accurate; but it is illegal to hunt with in PA.

Bolt guns are cheap and accurate. Also some great high end bolt rifles.

Lever guns (Marlin, Henry) have great appeal, historical value and are just plan COOL. they are accurate and good hunter/plinker rifles.

The pump 22 is fast and accurate. If you hunt or plink with a Remington 572, you will fall in love.

You shoould pick one you like, because4 of the versitility of the 22 rf it is a rifle that you will use and keep.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I mostly shoot a Rem 582 (bolt) because my deer rifle is usually a Rem 722 (bolt) or a Colt Sauer (bolt). Keeps me focused on doing the same thing no matter what I shoot.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
i have been looking for a .22 rifle for a few weeks here are my findings.

marlin good luck they were bought out by remington and there are pretty much no marlins out there right now.

savage, they feel really cheap, almost toy like, just dont have the feel i like

ruger 77 22. omg is that a sweet rifle, may still buy one. had one in my hand saturday and was gonna buy it but it had a big gouge in it and when the store owner said he would knock $10 bucks off it well he can keep it ( i was not happy with him and wont buy a gun from him again) a almost $600 dollar gun and they are gonna tell me it'll sand out, i dont think so.

CZ this is one i wanna get my hands on, gets great reviews for the 452, i wanna hold one but have a feeling its the one for me. i like the 452 american but wanna hold one first befor i decide.

long story short i been looking and the ruger is hands down my favorite so far, just alittle pricey but it has the feel i like. if the cz dont have that feel i may look for a used ruger

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
for a new one........Anschutz, Cooper, Kimber

A used one.......Anschutz, Winchester 52, Remington 40x.....

If you could find one of the Winchester 52 repro's from the 90's for a decent price, they are awesome, and they are extremely high quality.....

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have a Henry Golden Boy that shoots great, looks super and didn't cost me a fortune. Another plus it is made in America.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Savages also come with a wood stock if that is you issue with them feeling toyish.I have a savage markII and it shoots great.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
If I were looking for a .22 I would hit the local gun stores, the ones that offer older guns for resale, and see if I could latch onto anything that is from the Remington 500 series. Naturally you will be searching for features that you want: grooved reciever and ofcourse the overall condition. I have had a number of these rifles and have never been unhappy with any of them.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
skookhunter17954 said:
Savages also come with a wood stock if that is you issue with them feeling toyish.I have a savage markII and it shoots great.

yea i handled a "wood" stocked savage, wasn't impressed. i have 3 savages so not brand bashing just not impressed with their offering in the .22 market. i have no doubt a savage will shoot good, just not the feel i was looking for

1 - 16 of 16 Posts