The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
My favorite is my climber, as it is the most comfortable and I can and have spent entire days in it. Have 8 or 9 hangs ons that I like for shorter hunts and set them up in proven areas for quick and easy hunts.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
I currently only use a climber, but I really liked my hang-ons because I didn't need to schlep them in and out of the woods all the time.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
My favorite is my climber due to its versatility. I use 4 hang-ons in spots that I know will produce, even still I'm easily in my climber 3 times as much as the hang-ons because I constantly move around.

·
Registered
895 Posts
ladder for me now i used climbers for many years ,but had a close call on bear stand well after dark comming down . i guess i got a little scared once that happends, time to change .

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Ive used all of them, now only use the climber. I hunt public land only and sometimes I get a gut feelin to change trees on the way in.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
i prefer my ladder stands anymore

·
Super Moderator
12,815 Posts
For years I used nothing but hang on's, but I have found the climbers to be less trouble and more comfortable. I still have and use some hand on's. I purchased a ladder stand and blind and plan to use both this year for the first time. My favorite is a API Star hunter/climber.

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
I have a model and company that went out of business-too bad, very well built ladder stand:

Trax America
Grizzly Bow Master
All Extensions

Jack

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I have two ladder stands at "honey holes", and I keep two API climbers for everything else....It sure is nice and quiet going into a ladder stand and when you're done hunting, you just go.......Ken

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I use all but tower stands. Depends on where I'm at and what I'm hunting....doe, buck, archery, muzz., rifle, public land, private land, etc.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Got 7 ladders.. 5 singles, 2 doubles..so i guess I'll say ladders..LOL

Discussed building some nice permemnant stands the last 2 years but haven't, always wish the tree was 50' this way or that way...ladders allow for that.

I am a stillhunter by heart, and like new secenery when things get slow...so I will sneak from one stand to the other, just climb up, clip on and hang out til I am ready for something new.

Way back in the 80-early 90's I used TSS climbers and truthfully never felt comfortable up there...like the ladders for stabilty and ease.

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
RoosterBooster said:
Got 7 ladders.. 5 singles, 2 doubles..so i guess I'll say ladders..LOL

Discussed building some nice permemnant stands the last 2 years but haven't, always wish the tree was 50' this way or that way...ladders allow for that.

I am a stillhunter by heart, and like new secenery when things get slow...so I will sneak from one stand to the other, just climb up, clip on and hang out til I am ready for something new.

Way back in the 80-early 90's I used TSS climbers and truthfully never felt comfortable up there...like the ladders for stabilty and ease.
John, me too!! I Still Hunt 90+ % of the time for so many reasons, scenery, exercise, sneaking

Jack

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I love having some land, but that little bit of acreage is not exactly fit for my hunting style...the ladder stands help me make it all day within the boundries...LOL

Potter, ANF, etc...fit me much better, probably why that is where I do my serious hunting, cause it fits.

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
I use hang-ons, ladders and climbers. I prefer the hang-on or a ladder for my am hunts or a quick pm hunt. No messing around,just climb up the pegs,stick or ladder and start hunting. If I'm doing an all day'r I like my ladder or climber. Sometimes if I plan on doing an all day'r, I'll go in the pm b4 w/climber and hunt and then leave the stand at the base of the tree for next am.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I'll give you that....most hang ons aren't very comfy. My Summit climbers are more comfy than the couch in my living room though!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
scared of heights and cant use one. Ive taken alot of punishment from my brother-in-law and friends for this. I even hunt a farm that has 4 PERMENANT wooden stands, pretty soild ones, but I just cant relax and enjoy myself being 20 feet up. A fear Ive been trying to overcome.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Same old climber for some eleven-twelve years.

It's paid for and I get real nervous when I look at some of those new, spectacular, climbing stands, similar to mine, and now at a much higher price.

Last year I bought foam, and replaced what was in my old seat and back support. Ahhhhhh!!!

I'm determined to use that stand to the end of my hunting days. I take better care of it than the good care I give my rifles.

It spent only one night in the woods; that was the night I ran into a flash flood, and had to build a lean-to with pines, on high ground. I was Daniel Boone that night. Got enough sleep and went to work the next day.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts