The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep as soon as I saw the fruit i thought Magnolia acuminata (Cucumbertree). Had to know the latin name when I was in school, one of the easier ones to remember. take care.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
About worthless as a wildlife tree... The squirrels will eat them seeds but that is about it. Deer will feed on the browse. A very interesting tree though. We have 3 large ones on our hunting land.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
I have stands set up in these tree's and witness deer devouring them as they drop. Everyone I talk to says deer do not eat them but I've watched it happen with my own 2 eyes. Both places are loaded with Cherry, Oak and Beech so they had other options and still chose those orange berries. Break them open and smell them, they smell great.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have a large cucumber magnolia in my backyard. The tree right now is full of various kinds of birds and they are eating the fruit as fast as they can. Never seen deer eat any but squirrel always come in and eat.
Has anyone ever tried to plant the seeds? I tried it last year with 10 seeds. They all germinated and grew but I was surprised that all the seedlings look like lilies. When they first came up they looked like corn growing. When do they get the leaves of the tree?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I wish I knew my tress, but the only one I know is the "Dogwood" & that is because I know the bark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts