The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what jon boat ?

looking for an economical upgrade.

I am thinking of buying a jon boat. I currently have a small 12' crestliner sportsman (actually its 11'9") v hull.

95% of my fishing is alone, small lakes in the area, juniata river, north branch susquehanna...ect

i'm leaning pretty hard to staying small. I have never fished out of a jon boat in my life.

considering 1436 or 1542 jon...i weigh around 170, 5' 10".

Was thinking a deck on the bottom of boat...Any problems standing to fish for a solo angler on calm to moderate chop, with a boat this size?

For what its worth i stand to fish in the one i have now on a calm lake, but the boat has seen its better days.

Figured surely someone on here has a small jon, that can voice an opinion.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Re: what jon boat ?

I have a 14 ft AlumaCraft and love it. There is lots of room for my wife and I. I cut plywood to fit in the bottom and covered it with marine carpet.I had a 12 ft too and went to a 14ft.

·
Registered
425 Posts

I fish the same waters in a 1448. I can walk anywhere in the boat and it stays rock steady. I know a guy close to you with some options for sale. Pm if interested

·
Registered
614 Posts

Whatever length you decide on , go as wide as possible. I have nearly flipped a 36 when fishing alone and getting too fare to one side ,the wider the better for a jon boat. Also the highest sides that are available to you. Those small, narrow ,shallow jon boats scare me to death.

·
Registered
970 Posts

I agree with the above posts, get the biggest size you can, and I definitely would advise against a 36". I have a Lowe 1440 and wouldn't want anything smaller. Stay away from the flimsy thin metal ones too that flex and bend. Your life may depend on it.

·
Registered
12,791 Posts

I would opt for a welded semi-v jon boat, 14-16 foot long and as wide as I could afford. They are very stable if you get that kind. I have owned Boston Whalers in the past and they are super stable, kind of the same concept. I prefer tri-hulls or semi-v boats. They are very stable with a wide enough beam. More stable than true v-hulls.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts

octagon said:
I would opt for a welded semi-v jon boat, 14-16 foot long and as wide as I could afford.
I have a 14' jon. It is a nice boat. I use it on the Susquehanna and a few local lakes and ponds. If I were going to replace it I would go for a semi-V for its capabilities in rougher water.

·
Registered
11,268 Posts

wolfy said:
I think LOWE has a 10 foot jon with a 40 inch bottom. I wonder how stable that would be.
That scares me just thinking about it.

·
Registered
411 Posts

I have a 16/48 tracker grizzly all welded I love it it rides high on the water and runs dry very little or no water splashing the boat when your running. I've had it for 11 years and no thoughts of changing.

·
Registered
215 Posts

The big question is what type of motor is going on this rig? If you are going to put a 2 stroke 25/20 jet on - 14 to 16' x 48 riveted jon. (I run 16'x52" lowe jon with 25/20 jet all summer on the Juni)

If you are looking at a larger motor - then the sky is the limit. Guys in our bass club (JRTT) run 200 HP inboards all summer.

·
Registered
215 Posts

I just saw you were from Juniata County. I keep my small jon boat at Walnut. If you ever want a ride in my small jet to compare - pm me and we can set something up.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well after searching, i've come to the conclusion, that it boils down to the individual.

Note here that i fish solo...99.9% of the time. So bigger boat, equals bigger motor, equals more weight, equals more money.

Does a solo angler on small water need 16' of boat 48" wide? again i get varied responses.

How many guys are comfortable walking a 6" wall plate while setting trusses? one guy walks it with ease, next guy is grabbing for something to hold on to every time the wall shakes a little.

Seems like boats are about the same. One guy stands on the seat of a 1436 and fishes all day no sweat....next guy thinks he's going in.

Might go the in between route 1442 or 1542.

One thing to keep in mind is i already stand and fish in my 12" semi v with a deck on the floor, and i think the bottom of that is only 36" or 37". And iv'e never minded it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts