The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think the late season will be like this year? I am a little concerned myself. I did good in archery early, but most of my family and friends that hunt the areas in rifle that we normally do in flintlock saw very few deer. We had a fairly rough season last year, so I really am hoping things turn around and the deer were just hiding all fall

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I only went out a few times in centerfire and I did see doe every time I went; but no bucks at all. I could have taken a couple of doe with a flinter easily on two days. One was about 80 yards and one was about 20 yards. Deer numbers are way down where I hunt but there is still deer. I feel pretty confident on taking a doe in flint season; I have every year for years now; don't do much centerfire season anymore. I was actually scouting for flinter season when I went out in centerfire season. LOL.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I never go with great expectations. Enjoy the solitude of the woods.

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
I go with the excitement of being with freinds and the whole outdoors experience

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am looking forward to it, more so than rifle season. so hoping that we have some nice weather

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Never really hunted in it, but I'm gonna be doing alot of scouting so I might as well carry my slug gun. Might even bum my dad flinter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Late season is the best season. Most anyone can knock down a deer with a rifle, [censored] 16 year old kids on here shoot them at 600 yds. Now connect when a small explosion is going on a a few inches in front of your face, and your hands and feet are so cold you wish someone would amputate.
Thats fun, thats a challenge, thats skill.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
For me the "late" season is a time to go out and not only enjoy the challenges of hunting with a flintlock as my forefathers did but a time to be with friends, old and new, a time to sit and take in my surroundings.
To sit and think how Blessed I am to be able to take a rifle handcrafted by a friend, loaded with patch and hand cast ball using tools that were handmade so she can be loaded "just right". To sit on land owned by a friend who is kind enough to let me enjoy hunting one of God's most graceful creatures. To think of times past and friends and Family who have passed. To hunt in a State that still has a traditional flintlock season, may it always be preserved as such.
It is not about the killin' it is about the experience.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I took the flintlock for a walk yesterday after we parked alongside 25 other vehicles in one of Berks Co.'s favorite public hunting spots. My son and my grandson headed uphill into the Blue Mts. about 2 and a half miles. I managed to make the top of the mountain about 7:30 to hunt an area that normally holds a few deer.

The two sets of fresh tracks in the crusted snow indicated that the deer on top had been pushed pretty hard for two weeks. Thirty-five years of hunting this public land whispered that I needed to check some of the tough areas seldom searched by the rifle hunters,looking for some 100 yard shooting lanes.

Bad knees meant taking it slow, but I found what I was looking for with surprising fresh sign in abundance. I backed out of the area in hopes that the deer will settle there more by Dec. 26. Will the deer still be holding in this areas of laurel, white pine, and rocks for the flintlock season? We hope, and that's where we'll be for a couple of flintlock hunts.

It is tough hunting, but that is what the flintlock season is about. If it was easy, there would be 25 vehicles in the parking lot on Dec. 26! Maybe 5, tops!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have a Md. buck in the freezer, and a PA doe from rifle season in the freezer. I'm going out with full expectations of not even pulling the trigger. Just nice to go out and not be looking around at a pumpkin patch and be able to see deer moving in their natural patterns again. Also nice to see what all has survived the carnage. Oh and if that big 8 that was seen (and shot at and cleanly missed by someone hunting with us) happens to come by, well there might just be a CHAABANG!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Killin'time said:
I have a Md. buck in the freezer, and a PA doe from rifle season in the freezer. I'm going out with full expectations of not even pulling the trigger. Just nice to go out and not be looking around at a pumpkin patch and be able to see deer moving in their natural patterns again. Also nice to see what all has survived the carnage. Oh and if that big 8 that was seen (and shot at and cleanly missed by someone hunting with us) happens to come by, well there might just be a CHAABANG!
DITTO THAT!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Outlook is always good no matter what. Just enjoy the time out and hope a deer or 6 comes by
I do think chances are good for some shootin this year... much better than last year for sure.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
btm137 said:
What do you think the late season will be like this year? I am a little concerned myself. I did good in archery early, but most of my family and friends that hunt the areas in rifle that we normally do in flintlock saw very few deer. We had a fairly rough season last year, so I really am hoping things turn around and the deer were just hiding all fall
SMOKEY!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I passed on some small legal buck in archery and rifle hoping for one that meets my standards. Really looking forward to flintlock season and the challenges that come with it. Good luck to everyone!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts