The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been seeing reference to some "map" that denotes Class A or B or D, Wild Trout waters. Is this on a website ? I have no desire to do such exploring/fishing, but wonder if there is even one solitary stream in SW PA ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
From the PFBC website:

Class A streams
"Streams that support a population of wild (natural reproduction) trout of sufficient size and abundance to support a long-term and rewarding sport fishery. The Commission does not stock these streams."

Wilderness Trout Streams:
"Wilderness trout stream management is based upon the provision of a wild trout fishing experience in a remote, natural and unspoiled environment where man's disruptive activities are minimized."

Several Class A streams in Fayette, Somerset and Westmoreland Counties. Several WT streams in Westmoreland and Somerset, and maybe one or two in Fayette.

I've fished a handful in Westmoreland for wild brook trout.

·
Registered
16,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know HOW these Wild Streams receive designation. Pretty sure it is simply by coming up with a pre-determined, specified "biomass" per x amount of stream when surveying. What I am looking for, is the map that actually lists these streams.

Thx.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
A few are marked on the PFBC county maps - most however are not marked (class A creek) on maps. There is a list on the PFBC page that will help you locate the streams on a Topo. Then you need to go look, some on the list are private with 0 access, others are 100% public, most are a mix between access or no.

I know many on here don't think posted signs apply to fishermen BUT they do..... ASK FIRST

·
Registered
145 Posts
Check out eMapPA (http://www.depgis.state.pa.us/emappa/). Open up layers Regulated Facilities->Stream and Water Resources->Fish Information. Once you open up the Fish Information layer, it will identify Class A, Trout Stocked, Wilderness Trout and Naturally Reproducing Wild Trout Streams. If you use the "Identify" tool, it will tell you the stream name, length of reach, lower limit coordinates, etc.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I stand corrected there is a map .... guess I slipped behind on technology LOL

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I use the old fashioned method, Delorme atlas, and another better one , referencing the PFBC lists.... And explore from there.... That's what it's all about for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts