The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It really depends on what type of hunting you are doing, stump sitting where shots are under 100 yards on unpressured deer that give you plenty of time to pick your shot then you can use pretty much any centerfire and be successful.

However in our case we do a lot of driving as well as the possibility of shooting across the field at 500 yards so we need rifles that can still deliver enough damage and penetration at odd angles to allow for an ethical harvest. This generally tends to rule out some of the smaller calibers for our group though one guy does use a .22-250 but has had trouble with it the last two years.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
A .243 is a great round. I shot my buck with my dad's this year. Went on a Quebec caribou hunt way back in 1995 and several members of our group shot their caribou with a .243. Caribou are not known for being especially tough, but they are fairly big. I recall being impressed with how well the .243 did on them. They were using 100 grain Remmy factory loads. Personally I load 100 grain Nosler Partitions in my dad's @ 3,050 fps. I've seen reports from various people about how the 100 grain bullets don't shoot well out of a .243, but my dad's rifle hasn't figured that out yet.
I load mine with Hornady 100 gr round nose . IMR 4350 41.9 gr. Book said 3000 FPS

41 - 42 of 42 Posts