The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I would hate to know how many deer have been killed by a 222, 22-250, 223 etc in Pa. Then there are others that also think a 243 is too small. These calibers are all very effective deer killers with proper shot placement. It would be a shame to take compact rifles in these calibers away from youth, women and small framed shooters as optioms to hunt with.
I know of one hunter that has killed a fair amount of does with a 22 Hornet, all head shots, and he waits for the right shot.
I killed my first buck with a 222.
I have killed one buck with a 22-250.
I have no idea how many deer I have killed with a 243, but it's in the double figures. Most were bang /flop, and those that weren't had a short well marked blood trails. I also know of a couple of bears that were harvested with a 243, but Personally, I want something in a 30 caliber for bears.

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
A .243 is a great round. I shot my buck with my dad's this year. Went on a Quebec caribou hunt way back in 1995 and several members of our group shot their caribou with a .243. Caribou are not known for being especially tough, but they are fairly big. I recall being impressed with how well the .243 did on them. They were using 100 grain Remmy factory loads. Personally I load 100 grain Nosler Partitions in my dad's @ 3,050 fps. I've seen reports from various people about how the 100 grain bullets don't shoot well out of a .243, but my dad's rifle hasn't figured that out yet.
I load mine with Hornady 100 gr round nose . IMR 4350 41.9 gr. Book said 3000 FPS

1 - 2 of 2 Posts