The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most outragious hunting/fishing story you have ever heard or told? wonder who will have the most outragious? oh and no lies !!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I was crappie fishing at a local lake. I was wading when I hooked a fish and it wasn't fighting like they normally do. It was a small walleye (about 14") and as I began to lift it out of the water I noticed the single hook was not in the fish. The line was wrapped around the fish once then the hook was attached to the line again. I pulled it out of the water and showed the guy next to me in disbelief. I had lassoed a fish.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I was 17 and went hunting out in the Leonard Ridge area.
It was the second week of Nov. and it was pretty chilly out.Making my way back to where I was parked at I had to hop across a small run off,when Mother Nature called.
I had just finished up ,used all my TP and was just starting to stand,when a grouse busted out of the laurel right next to me.Scared me so bad I stumbled right back into where I had just gone.
What a mess,no paper,only dry,dead leaves,so I sat down ,pulled off my boots,socks,pants and waded into the run off to try and scrub up.
Needless to say that was one of the quickest baths I ever took.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Scouting on a thursday I found a herd of mallards near a point which is hard to get to by land so it was decided to get the boat out to make the trip easier. Something we learned was far from the truth. We had made plans to leave the launch at 5 dark 30 friday morning only to find that the launch was covered in ice. Checking closer I decided it was thin enough to get the boat through after the ramp had been cleared off. With Chet the deeks and I finally in the boat off we started.The little 16' aluminum v-bottom was doing good through1/4" thick ice, much better than Chet, can we say nervous. We finally reached the point, which by some luck had no ice in the area we planned to hunt. I was excited thinking that maybe the ducks kept it open and they will be back.
Chet got the deeks out of the bags as I set them out with much anticipation. We tied off the boat between two trees with overhead cover, just the kind of spot that you look to hide a boat from prying eyes. Well the birds started to fly at the crack of dawn as usual but they all flew the other side of the lake. Then the rain started and the birds quit flying. Sitting in an aluminum boat in near freezing temps getting rained on was getting unconfortable even for the two of us who never say quit.
We packed up and untied the boat only to have a few ducks make a pass nearby to tell us goodbye. As I was starting the motor Chet blurted out the ominous words " I hope the engine doesn't quit". Well we made it 100 yards and putt-putt dead.Now we are a mile from the ramp heading into a 30 mile an hour wind trying like heck to row. This proved to be as useless as the dead motor. We drifted into an icepack and hit it with the oars and some broke off a little at a time. The rain and the wind was hitting the ice pretty good by now and we were drifting into shore slowly but surely. While we waited I called my wife , bless her heart, to pick up some tools and a spark plug from the autoparts store, knowing that to explain what tools she needed to bring would end up being the wrong ones. The tools are still in the boat with an extra spark plug to this day.
We finally drifted to shore but on the the wrong side for her to find us so we pushed along the ice to get where we needed to be, to say it was slow going is an understatement. We would push four feet and get blown back three It was longest it has ever taken me to go thirty yards in my life.
Within ten minutes of us getting to where we needed to be it seemed all the ice disappeared. Our delivery woman arrived and I changed out the plug, our troubles were over,NOT. No spark at all, new plan. Chet caught a ride from my wife to go get the truck and bring it to the closest launch on our side and I would pull the boat around. My plan the whole way so I have only myself to blame on this next part. I thought the ramp was about 500 yards away, more like a mile and a half, maybe less. I started to pull it on nice sandy shore only run into large boulders tripping me up for a couple hundred yards. Next was an obsticle I had not planned on, a tree sticking way out into the lake and above the water. I climbed over and tied off the boat on the other side, climbed back and gave a big shove jumped over the tree and pulled the bat into the tree. I tried two more times on the 2nd I did a face plant into the icy water only to feel some relief from all the sweating. Finally around the tree and off the rocks, I felt I was on easy street, not yet. The next bay was a nice soft mud, so holding onto the back of the boat I pushed off the bottom and made slow progress til I hit solid soil. I rounded the bend only to see Chet asleep in the truck, with not enough breath in me to yell I walked up and anounced my arrival.
To this day it is something I keep in mind everytime out ducking and something we joke about as one of our adventures.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
A buddy and I were fishing off of some docks one time. I had laid my rod down to do something, and when I turned around, I accidently kicked it into the water. We had been using jigs, but my buddy tied a sinking rapala to see if he could snag my rod. He had only tried a couple times when he felt weight. He reeled it in, and it's hard to believe, but one of the hooks on the rapala had gone thru the EYE of the jig I had tied on. Thats how we got my rod back.

I also managed to shoot an incoming dove one time and catch it.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
My younger brother shot a deer and it went down the hill to the creek. He comes back up the hill because he did not have a knife so my older brother who had his deer at my dads stand goes to help. After finding the deer across the creek both go over a log and decide to gut the deer and then cross back over, Well as the older brother starts back across he slowly rolls over and fall's in! Now he is not a happy camper so he goes back across because the is a PGC truck that takes deer up to a different area, He gets a ride to the road and then one to camp to change cloths. All this time Dad and I are starting to wounder where both of them are! Her I am with 68 year old Dad a extra gun and a deer to get out of the woods. When older brother shows up with this story!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I once passed gas very loud [a real ripper] and low and behold a forkhorn which at first i didn't see, snorted back at me. i was in a treestand at the time.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Hence your name "vapor trail "

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
My nephew just told me this: Sat. afternoon when he got home from work his wife told him she heard a noise down in the gameroom woodburner. They got busy and he forgot about it til Sun morning when he went to check it out. When he opened the door he saw something brown inside so he went for a flashlight. Looking in with the light he discovered a hen mallard in the back corner of the firebox. His wife did not believe him and had to look too. He got his son to help get it out and he too had to look for sure. They decided only way to let it go was take the woodburner outside so out they carried it. After a while she came to the open door and flew away. He then asked his son to check out the clean-out door to make sure nothing else was in there. Well he said he saw something like a rag in back so they got the light and looked closer. In there was the mallard drake so they got a hoe and pulled it to the door. After a while it also flew away. A pair of mallards had gone down the 8 x 12 chimney with the female crawling thru a 6 inch pipe to the stove and the drake staying in cleanout. Unfortunately they did not video any of this or would have been something for funniest videos!

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
This will easily be the most outrageous hunting story. It was the third day of deer season last year and I was at my camp in the 2F area of Elk County. Here's the outrageous part-I actually saw one. True story, believe it or not.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
kudu58 said:
This will easily be the most outrageous hunting story. It was the third day of deer season last year and I was at my camp in the 2F area of Elk County. Here's the outrageous part-I actually saw one. True story, believe it or not.
Now if you would have shot it, that really would be a great story

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I've got two...

Crooked creek lake last summer, in the outflow, i was casting rubber jigs and snagged something. Turned out to be an ugly stick rod with a zebco reel on it. it had line out...so i started reeling on it and pulled in a 20" catfish. someone up above lost their rod a day or 2 before i guess.

Before I left for vegas about 7 years ago, i was casting spoons out into north park by the spillway. I remember the bats being really bad that nite. On my final cast for the night, i decided to tie on a different lure and put on a black mepps spinner with a black and yellow squirrel tail hook. I immediatly got HAMMERED and lost the set, so i re-cast. as the lure was arcing back down, i watched a bat turn to intercept, and it grabbed the spinner out of the air and didn't drop it. it had gotten hooked...I had one heckuva time getting my spinner back...

I hate bats.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
2007 Caribou Hunt in Quebec.... My buddy shots a 270 WSM and reloads all his own ammo. At that time, he was using Barnes Trip Shock bullets that were BLUE. It was my turn to shot first and a head was coming over the hill with 3 shooter bulls! As soon as I shot my bull, my buddy shots his bull and it he drops two animals, one bull and one cow! After checking out the animals, we went back up to our gear and began walking back to the downed animals! After 5 minutes by buddy was walking around the downed cow, reached down to the ground and on top of the moss was his bullet! We actually found the round he reloaded and killed two animals with one shot! Once we got home, he weighed the round to find out it retained 958% of it's orginal weight! Pretty cool!!!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Many years ago my dad and I were fishing for crappies in the Kiuzua arm of the Allegheny reservior. We started across the lake at first light. It was really foggy, and there was no wind. When we settled into our spot, and the wake from our boat died down, the surface of the water was as smooth as glass and the water was really clear. We were fishing small minnows just off the bottom in an area where a bunch of trees from a steep embankment had become dislodged from the bank and had slid into the water. We had fished for about three hours without a strike, when finally I got a strike and hooked up on a decent crappie about 10 inches long or so. I reeled it in slowly, enjoying the fight since it was the only fish of a slow morning. I got it to within about three to four feet from the surface, when it rolled onto its side and I could see the light flash off its side, when just then a huge muskie silently glided up from the depths, flared its gills and inhaled my crappie in one motion. I said "holy crap (or something like that)a muskie just ate my crappie" and the fight was on. Here I was with a cheapie litte Zebco rod and reel with about 8 pound test line, a #6 hook, a small split shot and of course no wire leader. I fought him for what seemed like about 10 minutes, (probably really only a minute or less) before he broke me off. Thus began my muskie fishing obsession.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I was hiking/groundhog hunting a few years ago, I planned on hiking all day, so I wanted something lite to carry, so I opted for my lever 44-40. I was walking the edge of a field, and I spotted a groundhog I've been after for quite some time. He was about 150-175 yards out, passing from the field to the brush on the edge, I rested the rifle on the monopod/hiking staff and took aim. The front blade covered him up, but using such a slow cartridge, I aimed about 6" above his head and fired. I saw the cloud of dust puff up about a foot in front of him, and figured I missed, but as I walked closer, I seen him laying there, dead as can be. I looked him over, and it looked like he took a close range shotgun blast, I don't know if the bullet shattered on a rock and he took the shrapnel, or if the bullets impact sent small rocks from the plowed field into him. I kind of wish I'd done a field autopsy on him now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
(this one happened in Arkansas) A couple of years ago on opening day, I had planned to take a 5 mile fourwheeler ride into the national forest across from our house. Just as I got to my spot, the 'wheeler ran out of gas. I had no other choice but to gather up all my stuff and hike out. I was wearing a parka, toting my rifle, and wearing lacrosse boots that came up to my knees. At about the 4 mile point, I rounded a corner, and low and behold there was a 7 point standing there. He was rutting, which of course rendered him incapable of any rational urge to be worried about getting shot....so I shot him. It never dawned on me that I still had a mile to go. So I said a little prayer, and began a mile uphill walk to where my dad was hunting and clung to the hope he'd still be there. Luckily he was. As we loaded my deer on his four wheeler, he said something I'll never forget: "If you hadn't killed a deer this morning, I'd have been really PO'd at this whole situation". I was one tired fella, and didn't even go hunting that evening after we went to get my fourwheeler.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was on a guided bear hunt in New Brunswick with a friend. As we went into the kitchen for dinner another hunter in camp notices my friends wearing a NY Rangers jersey.With that he shouts "Thats where I know you from. You got thrown out of a ranger/islander game last January. I had to tell my son they were taking you to get help" Small world you never know who youll run into.

·
Registered
984 Posts
One time when i was groundhog hunting with my bow, took aim and shot one through neck, never moved. Was walking some more and see a head pop up a little. I didnt know if it was laying in tall grass or if it was in its hole still. At the time i only had 3 pins, and the 3rd being thirty yards. I knew this hog was far out so i aimed at the bottom of my sight and let her fly. The arrow looked like it flew true but i wasn't sure til i walk up to it. You better believe that arrow (with a cheap walmart broadhead) went in one ear and out the other, keeping the head above the hole suspended in air because the arrow was laying flat across the ground. That shot mustve been 50 or 60 yds too. I

·
Registered
760 Posts
Opening day of buck season when I was 12. We all remember that day in our lives...the anticipation leading up to the season, not being able to sleep the night before and pleading for the sun to come up in the morning and not go down in the evening. Anyways my dad and I sat together until before lunch when we were to meet up with everyone else in the group and began driving. First drive I am posting and my excitement level is thru the roof knowing deer will soon be coming past me. Suddenly I realize I am sinking...and not able to move my feet. I had posted on top of what I thought was a dirt pile but turned out to be a heap of mud that was bulldozed off a road that had just been put into place for a gas well. The more I struggled the deeper I sank. After 20-30 minutes the drive ended and my uncle is who came thru the woods to where I was posted. He was laughing so hard he could not even yell to the others to come see it for themselves. There I was, waist deep in mud holding my gun and freaking out. The men were able to pull me out but my boots stayed behind. So there I am on opening afternoon of buck season sitting at home while my mom washed my hunting suit and my dad returned to the mud pile with a shovel to dig out my boots.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts