The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...when getting a vehicle inspected that has rusted completely through in some spots. My truck needs inspected but the wheel wells on the bed are rusted through and the rockers are basically gone. Does that matter for inspection?

I plan on fixing it soon but just wondered if it mattered.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Backwoods, it sounds like you're going to have some problems. You may find a guy "willing" to pass it and overlook a thing or two. But, I'm guessing no one will overlook the lack of rocker panels. Good luck.

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Everything else, to my eye, appear fine. Mechanically all is well too it is just that darn body.

I will get those panels fixed up and get it inspected.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Rule of thumb, if it's a hole that exhaust fumes can enter the cab through, it needs plugged.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Backwoods - Here's a link to the PA inspection regulations. Read through it & be informed. Nothing [censored] me off more than a garage failing a vehicle because of something irrelevant.

You can have a real rust bucket, It'll fail when it gets real bad, but only if the body panels are lose from their mounting brackets. Also if you have a hole in the the cab, typically a floor pan. fixing it is as simple as riveting a piece of sheet metal in & sealing it up. Rockers, bottom of your doors, the typical PA rust locations will not fail your vehicle.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/SubchapterE.pdf

Refer to Page E-7 for exterior inspection, specifically what you're looking for is on E-9.

Good luck.

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was incredibly helpful. I would say, based on what I read, that my truck would actually pass inspection.

I still plan to work on repairing the rusted out areas but was going to try to get it inspected because I currently need a truck for other things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts