The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking around on other sites i see this to be a huge debate about the best coon trap , in your opinion what is your favorite and why ?

I like the 1 1/2 coil and bought some used DUKES 1 1/2 coil with Double Jaws and find this to be one of the best coon traps in My Opinion !!!! I also replaced all my springs with 1 1/2 Music Wire and they are strong and ready for next season !!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also read on Sullivans site that alot of guys over there think the # 2 Double Long Spring is a poor coon trap and i totally DISAGREE with this statement , i love this as a coon trap and it works great !!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should of said excluding dog proofs , what are the other traps you run on your line for coon , Mauser06 i also like a bucket but with a 160 in it !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,145 Posts
It's all based on opinion. There is no cut and dry "best" trap. For anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,557 Posts
usually its a good pocket set for mink or a nice dirthole for fox hase the best coon in it! the trap is secondary!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
mauser06 said:
#220 at a good bucket set
that aint legal is it ? from what i understood you cant set conibears unless there halfway underwater???

but i use duke 1 1/2 coil spring and some duke 1 1/2 longspring mostly for coon never had any problems with dukes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
im greedy but i would like to see us be able to have as many choices as possible for catching coons...snares,coni's,DP's,footholds,etc.....and yes i would use all these methods if they were available....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,829 Posts
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">220s are ille</span>gal</span> to use in PA on land...160s are allowed in special bucket sets...read your rule book under "artifical cubby" i think it is...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Of the near 3,000 coon i've put up over the past 3 years 90% have been caught in grizz style dp's the other 10% stumbled into k9 sets. So roughly 2,700 coon over three years running a 1% loss in a trap that can be baited and set at home. Can be placed on location in seconds with cable. When set properly is absolutly weather proof. When done right can be checked at 60mph going down the road. And is the most specie specific trap ever built. Barring the fact you like being nipple deep in mud and water digging a pocket or lugging around coni boxes you spent all summer building. Why on God's green earth would you set any other kind of trap for coon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
FEEB said:
Of the near 3,000 coon i've put up over the past 3 years 90% have been caught in grizz style dp's the other 10% stumbled into k9 sets. So roughly 2,700 coon over three years running a 1% loss in a trap that can be baited and set at home. Can be placed on location in seconds with cable. When set properly is absolutly weather proof. When done right can be checked at 60mph going down the road. And is the most specie specific trap ever built. Barring the fact you like being nipple deep in mud and water digging a pocket or lugging around coni boxes you spent all summer building. Why on God's green earth would you set any other kind of trap for coon?
That is the SINGLE best reply I've ever seen. I'll second that.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top