The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some help here guys..... im dying to shoot it need help to get a good load started

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
need help with what size patch and ball .......the barrel wasnt marked ... forget what i ordered back in the late 80s

·
Registered
850 Posts
well it could vary a little but should be right about 490.cant rember patch size im shootin,but you can play with that.if its cuttin the patches when you shoot then go thinner.

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Try a .490 or .495 with some .024 denim(old jeans)to start.Can lube with olive oil.You want a little snug but not to hammer to start.You can varry patch size from there.
The guys that have 56 cal often use 54 balls with a heavy patch.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
It is a 50. You have to measure below the crown. If it is the Hawkins made by TC or CVA, they did not make a .52. Start with a 490 roundball and .15 patch. See how that grabs the rifling Should be tight but not so hard that you cannot push it down with reasonable force. Never hammer a ball. Sometimes guns prefer a 495 ball and .10 patch. Experiment and see what works for you.

GBJ

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Stuck my bore gauge where you have yours and got about the same.Go with a .490 ball and .015-.020 patch.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is a dixie gun works barrel purchased in 1984 i dont know where my paperwork went so im ask your best guess?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
should i buy both round balls and 2 types of patches ? what about a powder load to start with?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts