The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see if we have anybody that can identify this object. I already know the answer, as told to me by a historian who works for the State Museum.
For a size reference, that's an index card it's sitting on and it's true color is dark gray/black like the iron it's made from.

·
Registered
36,210 Posts
It almost looks like a caltrop, an iron/steel shaped star used during the Civil War to disable horses when they stepped on them.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
That is an ear-stud typically worn by the Eastern Bigfoot. Most times it is found in the right earlobe but sometimes the left (not that there is anything wrong with that).

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bearclaw said:
It almost looks like a caltrop, an iron/steel shaped star used during the Civil War to disable horses when they stepped on them.
We have a winner!
Yes sir, a caltrop is what the historian told me it is.

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
I was interested in the origin of such a thing, so I looked it up on Wiki. Judging by what I've read, and see in your pic, what you have is a Caltrop insignia ? These were worn by certain troops in WWII signifying their corp or division ? True caltrops made to disable, seem to be much sharper and pronged to puncture. More sinister looking. Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts