The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a spear head? Found it about 40 years ago in a field we had just plowed on the farm. Measures 4" long and 1 1/2" wide at base.

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
Looks more like a scraper or cutting tool. Like to flesh hides. I'd think a spear head would be more symetrical.

50 years ago, there were a series of "official" state Archeologists, often University Professors who had the legal right to perform digs. My college Anthropology professor was one and he would volunteer his students as grunts for his digs. Maybe one of them could help you.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I would think any Anthropologist in your community, or any nerby University, would help you out. I found a dilapidated token of some sorts years ago, and took it to Bloomsburg University. They determined it was political token from the 1850's, and how I don't know, you could not read anything on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rem. without seeing it first hand I can only make an educated guess. I would say it is brush creek chert the occurs just south of you and depending on the amount of flaking, which i can not tell from the photo, my guess would be a pre form (biface). Spear points and tools do go through a series of steps to get to the finished state. The natives carried and cached these so that they would be able to have a fast replacement when needed. Just like you might carry extra arrows or bullets. If it is very thin and in its finished state I would say a hafted knife or scraper. I do have 25+ years working as a contract archaeologist in the north east. But even with experience the natives never cease to amaze and puzzle us all!! Enjoy your find and record and protect the site...

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
It's a blade, and a very decent one at that...Almost looks like Jasper, which sometimes comes in this dark of a shade of brown...

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I've noted pictures of Jasper in some of Fogelmans books and in his pics of Jasper artifacts, many of them are indeed as brown as the one in the picture...Lacks the "sheen" of Jasper, but is a very nice blade nontheless..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was with Gary yesterday (Saturday) in Marysville. He and I were discussing the chert types of Southwestern Pennsylvania and the lack of consistent naming of such. I will be with him later this month so he can photo my samples. I agree with you Big Ken that some Jasper can look somewhat like the Photo sample however we must consider the location of the find and the distance from the Jasper Quarry's. Not to say that the natives did not the trade the material, they did, but most pieces that far from the source are finished pieces. I have found Jasper as far west as Uniontown Pennsylvania. They are very very rare and are in finished form. I am working on an article for the "Pennsylvania Archaeologist Journal" as we speak on the occurrence of the Brush Creek Chert that occurs just south of where this piece was found. Like I stated in my first post I have to handle the piece and put a glass on it not just look at a picture.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Exactly...Same here..And ten different people may call it ten different stones...Same with arrowhead ID....DIfferent folks will call a certain point different names because the piece may have certain characteristics which are also prevelent on other types of points...A few years back a local person found an orangish point which was nothing like anything I ever saw...He took it to Fogleman and was told that it was a type of "coral" found in the Florida region..Just goes to show you that anything can actually pop up anywhere..Trade networks must've been more extensive than I had ever thought!Sorry I missed the Marysville show..I usually make it there!Let me know if you are attending the Shupps Grove Indian artifact weekend...Maybe we can hook up!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Big Ken said:
Exactly...Same here..And ten different people may call it ten different stones...Same with arrowhead ID....DIfferent folks will call a certain point different names because the piece may have certain characteristics which are also prevelent on other types of points...A few years back a local person found an orangish point which was nothing like anything I ever saw...He took it to Fogleman and was told that it was a type of "coral" found in the Florida region..Just goes to show you that anything can actually pop up anywhere..Trade networks must've been more extensive than I had ever thought!Sorry I missed the Marysville show..I usually make it there!Let me know if you are attending the Shupps Grove Indian artifact weekend...Maybe we can hook up!
When is the Shupps Grove weekend? I might check it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts