The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that ticks are bad this year again. I had several on me last year during archery season. Does anyone know of any good spray or anything you can you that will kill them on contact or a repellent?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Either "No Stinkin Ticks" or "Sawyers".

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think any of the permethrin sprays, sprayed on your clothes works well. I have used it in NY where we have some ticks, and in southern Ohio which is loaded with ticks. used a couple of differnt brands and they all seemed to work. Apply it early enough that it can dry into clothes for at least 12 hours.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
the people at my vet's office said that often hikers and others who spend time in the outdoors wear a flea/tick collar on their ankle. The one that my lab wears is called preventick and his size cost about $20, but you don't need a super bug one just long enough to fit around your ankle. Of course you don't want to have it on direct skin

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
A few years ago,I had ticks on the ticks that were on me!!!
I bought the Permathone at WalMart,never had one on me since I started using it!!
I spray everything I wear hunting-even the inside of my pants,etc.
Really works good for me.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
I USED to use that...CrowMagnumMan and I pushed that Stuff....

But after I think it was Dave T posted about Permethrin Concentrate, I started using it...

Go pay $12.00 for a big bottle of concentrate at Home Depot or Lowes...Mix up a gallon per the instructions on the Concentrate Bottle and hang hunting or outdoors clothing on a clothes line outside, put the Permethrin mix in a spray bottle and spray the hunting or outdoors clothing real good with it...let it dry and the protection lasts for a good 8 weeks just like No Stinking Ticks!

Best part about it...No Stinking Ticks cost $12.00 to $14.00 a can and that can only does 1 hunting suit, the protection lasts 6-8 weeks...the Concentrate costs $12.00 for a bottle that will make over a HUNDRED Mixings and last for a few years and will protect you just like No Stinking Ticks But MUCH, MUCH, MUCH Cheaper per useage!!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
brewyak said:
the people at my vet's office said that often hikers and others who spend time in the outdoors wear a flea/tick collar on their ankle. The one that my lab wears is called preventick and his size cost about $20, but you don't need a super bug one just long enough to fit around your ankle. Of course you don't want to have it on direct skin
Vets offices will tell you a host of things...like Science Diet dog food is the ONLY Dog food to feed your Dogs and Cats....then they stopped pushing that and went to Iams Dog and Cat Food...The pushed Front Line for awhile then stopped pushing that and went to Advantage.....When those there Collars you mention get sold at Pet Stores instead of JUST At a Vet's office, you will see them PUSH some other Flea and Tick Collar!

Flea and Tick Collars for Humans to keep ticks off them...Now that is Funny right there!

HOW is a flea and tick collar supposed to protect a Human?
We do not have the Thick hair on our Bodies like dogs and cats have and when those collars are put on dogs and cats, they are supposted to touch the skin not dangle around off the skin....I think your Vet's office was trying to make a sale on a $5.00 Collar and make $20.00 Bucks!

Use Permethrin Based Sprays and your GOOD TO GO with NO TICKS GETTING ON YOU!

Been Proven and Tested many times over!!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Great post Woody. Glad I looked back at these posts. Thats one heck of a savings. those aerosol sprays are very expensive. I'll give this a try next year.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Farflung said:
Great post Woody. Glad I looked back at these posts. Thats one heck of a savings. those aerosol sprays are very expensive. I'll give this a try next year.
This is 1 of those posts that should be a Informational post that is up front all the time and stays right up front like all the other Stickies...

CrowMagnumMan, Dave T and I have in the past few years Explained and Explained and Explained what to use to keep ticks off when hunting, fishing, trapping or out hiking or watching birdies....CMM and I have seen 1 to many folks we know come down with the Dread Lyme Disease and we wish not to hear of anyone else!

With Lyme Disease all over the place like it is, it is a Good Thing to try and educate folks to what to use so they stay Safe!!

I know guys who use only deet and then complain all the time when out hunting that they have to pick ticks off themselves...Deet is good, but not as good as a Permethrin Based Spray!!

I've stood and watched ticks crawl up my pant leg and NEVER make it to my knee, they drop over DEAD from the Permethrin that had been sprayed on my hunting clothes and dried!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly Woody....Appericate all the help on this subject...I think every hunter should take a look at this topic and get educated on Tick prevention as they can really harm us...thanks again all!!!! What a great group of people on here!

·
Registered
595 Posts
So when I go to Home Depot or Lowes, I'm just looking for a product called Permethrin? What are the hazards associated with it for me, dogs, children? Can it be sprayed on the dog or is that a no no?

·
Registered
893 Posts
JK SE Pa said:
So when I go to Home Depot or Lowes, I'm just looking for a product called Permethrin? What are the hazards associated with it for me, dogs, children? Can it be sprayed on the dog or is that a no no?
The HOME DEPO brand will be called "TOTAL KILL"
It's a concentrate made to put on your yard.
Folks are mixing it with water and applying to their cloths.
Safe? Well what's REALLY safe?
Know what I'm sayin .... my lawyer says do not use other than directed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
JK SE Pa said:
It's made from flowers... chrysathimums (sp)... so it's not likely to be worse than DEET... which can be a problem.

As far as LYME... best avoided! I unfortunately know.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Ortho 'Total Kill' works great! I got my bottle at Home Depot and bought a spray bottle w/ mixing graduations marked on it after reading the original post about it.

I had had good success w/ the 'Repel' brand spray in Wal*Mart's camping section...one can barely covered my turkey gear # $5.00 + change.

I spent $12.00 total at Home Depot for the total kill and the spray bottle and two years of use barely made a dent. I've gone thru one batch and just made another this spring. It works just like the spray cans and since you make it as you go you don't need to worry about not covering all of your gear.

·
Registered
595 Posts
What ratio do you use to mix it? How about used on Dogs. Is it something that I can spray them down with or is that a really bad idea?

·
Registered
221 Posts
There was a similar blog concerning this topic about a year ago and someone posted information in regards to Total Kill. I seem to remember the ratio of 1 part T/K to 5 parts water. Our tick and chigger population here in Oklahoma is terrible so I tried the original ratio and it worked great. I used a little more T/K this summer probably don't need to but have had no problems with ticks. I do think it is more effective if you spray your clothing down maybe the night or day before.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
I mix one once per gallon of water.I've always sprayed that mixture on my horses when we take them through the woods but I don't know how safe it would be on dogs.

Permanone was always what I used on my cloths but I've been having a hard time finding it so I've just been using the mixture that I spray on my horses.The permanone was supposed to have something in it that bonded to clothing but the mixture seems to work just as good.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
quackmaster4 said:
I USED to use that...CrowMagnumMan and I pushed that Stuff....

But after I think it was Dave T posted about Permethrin Concentrate, I started using it...

Go pay $12.00 for a big bottle of concentrate at Home Depot or Lowes...Mix up a gallon per the instructions on the Concentrate Bottle and hang hunting or outdoors clothing on a clothes line outside, put the Permethrin mix in a spray bottle and spray the hunting or outdoors clothing real good with it...let it dry and the protection lasts for a good 8 weeks just like No Stinking Ticks!

Best part about it...No Stinking Ticks cost $12.00 to $14.00 a can and that can only does 1 hunting suit, the protection lasts 6-8 weeks...the Concentrate costs $12.00 for a bottle that will make over a HUNDRED Mixings and last for a few years and will protect you just like No Stinking Ticks But MUCH, MUCH, MUCH Cheaper per useage!!
Yep, been using that stuff ever since he made that post.Works great!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts