·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I use Rapala filet knives.......

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You use this to debone deer? Is it the 4" with the wooden handle? Also, what is the best sharpener out there?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I use fillet knives to debone all our deer. I use a 6" model. I have an electric chef choice and a then just a standard whustof sharpener.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Nothing beats a good fillet knife once you get the hang of deboneing. You need some flex in the knife to do it right.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
remy120777 said:
You use this to debone deer? Is it the 4" with the wooden handle? Also, what is the best sharpener out there?
I use the 6" one with the wooden handle.........get it as sharp as you can, and then set to work.......a felxible knife is the best knife for deboning, and cutting meat.....

It is hard to beat a good oil-stone for sharpening a knife...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Been using dexter russell knives for years.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i bought a set of Mundial knives (6" boning and 7" slicing) kit from Sams Club back in the kitchen supply stuff. they have very grippy microbac white handles and they take a NASTY edge fast using a ceramic honing stick from IKEA. the WHOLE kit cost me less than 20 bucks for knives and stone and they are dang fine for what I do with them. Are they the "best" knives? NO. but they do wha tthey are intended to do quite well and i could not argue with the price.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Dexter(personal fav), most any of the commercial knives are good. The one key though is to learn how to use a steel. Back in the day I was one of the people that used commercial sharpeners, you end up sharpening your knife quite frequent. Since my buddy started up his deer shop and I have had to learn how to do things on my own, gets old handing him a knife every 10 minutes saying hit this, I have learned how to use a steel. I have not taken the sharpener out of the cabinet in a year now. If you get good you can get that edge sharp enough to shave with. Makes a world of difference when boning out a deer when all you have to do is give a flick of the wrist to remove meat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are a lot of good knives as mentioned, Victonix, Forschner and Dexter Russell. We carry the Dexter because they are as good as the rest and made in the USA. All else being equal, that's the route we take. Best sharpener - Redi Edge also made in USA.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
When I used to cut meat in a store, Forschner semi-flexible was the standard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts