The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mostly shoot my 54 Cal PA Mountain Rifle flinter but do like dabbling with inlines plus tote one during our Early ML Season.

I'm down to only 2 after going through more than im willing to disclose case the Mrs is lookin over my shoulder!!!:smile2:

(1) TC 50 Cal ProHunter
(2) White Rifle Super 91 Custom .504 Caliber

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
CVA Optima....extremely accurate...touching holes at 100 yards with a Simmons scope (Gasp) :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I own one inline, a Traditions G4 Ultralight with a Leupold 1-4x scope. I haven't hunted with it a lot, but really enjoy shooting it at the range.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I own a Rossi combo that came with a 20ga barrel and a 50cal in-line barrel...sighted in...but never used.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
My first one was a TC Thunder Hawk 50 cal which I eventually traded on an Austin & Halleck 50 cal stainless that started life as a #11 cap gun, which I later converted to a 209 primer via a kit. Also have a TC Omega 50 cal stainless.

Also have a TC Renegade 50 cal side lock #11 cap gun, and a TC White Mountain Carbine flinter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 3 plunger action inlines that all shoot with #11 caps.
A Lyman Cougar .50 which is my primary muzzle loading rifle for deer hunting.
Also a Marlin MLS .50 stainless.
And a Traditions 12 ga. Buckhunter shotgun that is threaded for choke tubes.

Believe it or not, I look at cap & ball revolvers as being inlines, but just not in the common modern usage of the term.
But revolvers do have centered nipples at the rear of each chamber that are struck by a center hammer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Only one, a CVA Wolf. A very good inline and they are priced very reasonable, especially when they're on sale. It shoots well, during early season here in PA I've shot twice and had 2 gut piles.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I own 2 cva wolfs a cva accura v2 and a tc strike. just got the strike so I dont know if I will have it ready for the early season. if you are looking for a good entry level gun look at the cva wolf my buddy just bought one from Buds guns for 196.00 had it in 3 days.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I won a T/C Bone collector 50 cal, at a NRA dinner a few years back and it is still in the box. I consider this a cheater gun for my buddies that use them in the early muzzy season.

I enjoy using my flintlock in the late season

·
Registered
847 Posts
T/C impact 50 cal. Might not take it out for the early season. Bought it use few months ago an noticed the threads on the ram rod stripped out on the 1 end. Sure there's ram rods out there cut to fit, but not the exact size i need. Sure did contact T/C, email i got was in short. We don't have them in stock & there not available? I don't want no universal ram rod fits all, just cut to length.

Last i toted an inline was in the early season 2000's & decided just to archery hunt. This season i decided to get back in it. Maybe it's not meant to be?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T/C impact 50 cal. Might not take it out for the early season. Bought it use few months ago an noticed the threads on the ram rod stripped out on the 1 end. Sure there's ram rods out there cut to fit, but not the exact size i need. Sure did contact T/C, email i got was in short. We don't have them in stock & there not available? I don't want no universal ram rod fits all, just cut to length.

Last i toted an inline was in the early season 2000's & decided just to archery hunt. This season i decided to get back in it. Maybe it's not meant to be?
CC...check with Big John at: https://www.northeasttradeco.com/

He likely can fix you up with a custom ram rod that meets your expectations.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
T/C Omega that was my intro to Muzzleloading. I use flinters now, but I still use the inline when firearms seasons roll around in states that prohibit breechloading rifles. The Omega is an incredibly accurate shooter, and I would never just let it sit.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't own any but my flinter. I feel like I am cheating on my bow if I go out in that doe week, but if I take a smoker out, the flinter has to go!

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
i have taken my inline out in October instead of my bow, only to have a really, really nice buck walk closer than 20 yards from me. One was a very exceptional ten point.

this has happened several times. maybe i should bow hunt while wearing orange and smelling of black powder and bore butter. :)

Reactions: bigguy54 and willyp

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thompson .50 Omega, stainless with black thumbhole stock- 209 primer ignition (open sights - my Colorado elk gun).
Thompson .54 Thunder Hawk, percussion cap (my old Colorado elk gun). Shot many elk with both.

In Pa., only use the flinter, Thomson Hawken .50 with a Green Mountain barrel (slow twist for patched round balls).
I quit hunting the early muzzle loader season as I always seemed to see nice bucks which I couldn't shoot. Only go archery early now. I did shoot one doe years ago with the Thunder Hawk when they first started the early season.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts