The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
when I travel I always take a shotgun, hoping for an opportunity to hunt shows.

That gun is an 870 12 ga Remington pump. It has a 22 inch 3" barrel with a Poly-Choke. I also have a red dot scope in a saddle mount that takes about 4 minutes to put on, and it stays sighted in pretty good. with the barrel and scop off, it fits into a small package with 20 slugs and a box of #6 and a 5 pack of 000 buck.

That would have to be my personal choice.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I would probably go with the Moss 500, especially if you could have more than one barrell. A vent rib 22 inch with a variety of chokes, including turkey chokes and a cantilevered rifled slug barrell with scope would set you up adequately for all game from Florida to Southern Canada and from central Ohio to the atlantic ocean without being at any great disadvantage. A 18 inch cylinder bore barrel for social occasions would be nice to. Not that there is anything wrong with the 870, I own both.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have 3 barrels for my mossberg 500. One is a open sighted rifled barrel. One is a cantilevered barrel with a 4x scope, and the last is a 28" field barrel with chokes (I have 3).

I have used the field barrel to hunt everything from birds to rabbits to squirrels. Don't hunt waterfowl, but it could do that too.

I have used the canilevered barrel on one deer. Worked good. No complaints with the accuracy. I shot it to 100 on paper and 102 yards on deer. My rifles can't shoot much if any better.

The open sighted barrel I got to use durring incliment weather last year. I will admit I haven't shot it much. Itwill see the range again if not more before too long.

My gun has the interchangable comb ob the stock. I like it a lot. I get a perfect sight picture through the scope with the raised comb.

With all that said I don't think I would want to get rid of my marlin 22 any time soon. Too many good uses for it.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
A multi-barrel Remington 11-87
Rifled barrel for deer
A short Rem choked barrel for turkey, predators
A 28" barrel for flying targets

1 - 11 of 11 Posts