The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The takeaway for me is that sports isn't nearly as important in my life as I thought it was. I like the Steelers and love the Pens, but I'm surprised how little I miss them. My work schedule and the refusal of hockey to ever be broadcast on a real television channel has limited the games I can watch anyway. So it was a small step from watching infrequently, to not watching at all. The truth is, I can live without sports. It's a little sad and it leaves some time for the void to be filled with constant political crap. But I'll survive.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Done with the NFL and Nascar.. Will not return to watching either..
Really taught me lil about sports but mostly about America's average mentality. Yep...stopped watching NFL games couple years ago...only certain college games.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It taught me that people who can run fast, jump high, and throw or kick a ball think that their physical abilities combined with their social media accounts gives them enough brains and insights to be able to comment intelligently on complicated political and societal issues.

It taught me that going on a generation+ of participation trophies and coddling has created a large population of people incapable of compromise, intolerant of not getting everything their way, will hold their breath, throw a tantrum, which now involves burning buildings and occupying areas of cities, like the invading Mongols or Nazis did.

It taught me sports are irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
It taught me sports are irrelevant.
I've heard others say much the same. That may well be one small positive thing to come from the pandemic. It kind of put some things into perspective. Did it the hard way but none the less.............

Reactions: Loggy

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I think in the end the happy people will be the owners. No fans or few in the stands is less revenue. TV ratings will dive, less revenue.

So now more have an excuse to say sorry, cant spend big on free agents, just be glad we still have a team.

People dont want to hear about covid or BLM or controversy over kneeling. The allure of sports was that it was an escape.

Young people have lost a lot of sports seasons. They will move away from real sports to e-sports and thus the pros have lost a generation of fans. Fewer kids will want a jersey.

Again, less revenue for the coffers.

Watch the salary caps crash, and a TV network goes Chapter 11 due to some onerous contract to televise games.

If athletes have a cause or a message, do it outside the lines. But nope. So when people tune out and ratings crash, and the money dries up, of course that will cited as America being racist.

When teams fold or players with big contacts get cut, they can go work at Wendy's until it gets burned down in the next riot.

I'll be in the woods, not watching!

·
Registered
39,671 Posts
I think much of what has been posted is correct and I think a lot of people will agree with those postings. I also think that eventually people will be back supporting their favorite teams and sports.

As for me, I have a saying and that is, “it just isn’t summer without baseball.”

·
Super Moderator
12,650 Posts
Loved MLB, but long ago when free agency repeatedly changed the players to different teams I begin to lose interest...I like the old days when players stayed on the same teams, I still watched some games and did go to some games, but hate to look at the current roster to know who the players are.....To have.... say three favorite players and the next year they are on three different teams. Also love college basketball and football, but long ago put Saturday hunting before both but try to watch the finals. Now I can record them and watch when my favorite teams win. Also loved the NBA, but now same thing players switching teams and like some other athletes decided they are now professional critics and for some reason they believe their options for be far superior to the many of the rest of us. They are not smart enough to know when they speak out they are going to alienate some of their fans.

The other thing that bothers me is their constant hunger for millions of dollars putting their selfish wants before their teams, fans and desire to win chanpionships to the point they are willing to sat out games, speak out against teammates/coaches when their team and fans are depending on them. Not to mention all too often their success leads them to believe they are above the law, have no loyalty to fellow team mates/fans and want us to buy their jerseys and idolize them as American hero's. These negative things have greatly decreased my respect and desire to watch the sports they should be selling with their loyalty through their behavior but rather choose to destroying fan respect with their desire for personal fame and the mighty $$$$ when many of the fans are spending more than they can afford to go to a single game....None of this is making a positive impact on the youth of America nor their sports that once united people.....I don't see a good future for sport.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Excellent point Born2, how sports used to bring people together.

I think in the short term, the past tense is correct. Will it ever go back to that? I have strong doubts that it can.

Might be a good thing. Players will be a lot less "important" in society so their opinions and comnents wont be front page news.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
The takeaway for me is that sports isn't nearly as important in my life as I thought it was. I like the Steelers and love the Pens, but I'm surprised how little I miss them. My work schedule and the refusal of hockey to ever be broadcast on a real television channel has limited the games I can watch anyway. So it was a small step from watching infrequently, to not watching at all. The truth is, I can live without sports. It's a little sad and it leaves some time for the void to be filled with constant political crap. But I'll survive.
What has it taught me?

That I’m perfectly fine without them. And that my crazed sports antics were and are totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suspect that, once this blows over, people will return to interest in sports. If for no other reason than just to fill time. But I cant see it being like it used to be. I don't think it will be for me.

To highjack my own thread: Does anyone believe that the major sports will get through their entire season as planned? I, for one, think there is a good chance that Covid will cause the current planned seasons for each sport to be drastically altered, if not cancelled outright.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I am perfectly fine without them, especially baseball....and the only one I truly miss is Hockey. After all the NFL garbage, I am completely done with it. Could care less if they all end up as Wal Mart greeters....

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I too think it will be difficult to keep the bubbles covid free, and sports has a lot of up close and personal contact, a great way to transmit virus.

One gap in the bubble could expand pretty quick.

·
Registered
8,807 Posts
Eventually this virus will pass and sports will get back to somewhat normal. The greater threat to Pro sports is the politicization and WOKE influence on sports... people watch and enjoy sports to escape the daily grind and politics, not to have it smashed in their faces... if anything will kill pro sports it's that.

I have a proposal. If it's to be political, instead of an American and National League in baseball, or an AFC and NFC in football... we have instead Liberal and Conservative Leagues or conferences in both sports... the caveat would be that all persons involved, from owners down to players believe in their cause. :devilish:

·
Registered
706 Posts
It can ALL go away!!!

I hope at least there’s a major major reset. Absolutely no reason for those clowns to be making millions a year.
Maybe the owners will grow a pair and start leading and running things.
It’s always harder to get people back into something once they moved on to something else. I think pro sports is about to find that out!!!

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cant believe that there wont be , at least, a temporary loss of interest. But peoples attention spans are short. Once sports gets going fully again, I suspect in five years or so, it will be more popular than ever. Sadly.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I think folks are losing sight of the economic impact the loss of professional and collegiate sports will have...
Sure, there's a lot of entitled, whiny millionaires playing the game (and a few genuinely decent folk too), but these leagues are industries.
There's countless supporting industries involved, and hundreds of thousands (or more) employees depending on them.
All of them, from owners to athletes to those in the supporting industries earn and, rather importantly, SPEND money that drives business in unrelated sectors (think auto/home sales, consumer goods, electronics, entertainment, travel, merchandizing, advertising, etc.)
Take that away and it represents a sizeable hit across the board.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I think folks are losing sight of the economic impact the loss of professional and collegiate sports will have...
Sure, there's a lot of entitled, whiny millionaires playing the game (and a few genuinely decent folk too), but these leagues are industries.
There's countless supporting industries involved, and hundreds of thousands (or more) employees depending on them.
All of them, from owners to athletes to those in the supporting industries earn and, rather importantly, SPEND money that drives business in unrelated sectors (think auto/home sales, consumer goods, electronics, entertainment, travel, merchandizing, advertising, etc.)
Take that away and it represents a sizeable hit across the board.
Nicely said Wing,
To that, once you have reached the top of anything, there is only one way to go from there....
The problem with sports is that they keep pushing the ceiling up.
When you indulge in anything too much, not much good will become of it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts