The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
WOW,that,s terrible.Looks like a barrel obstruction.Could of double loaded a projectile or didn,t seat a projectile or even an over loaded charge.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Didnt fully seat the projectile is my guess....

I do not believe you can "over load" a muzzle loader...the projectile flies out the barrel and whatever powder isnt burnt yet does too...if the projectile didnt fly.out it would blow...aka pipe bomb...

Double loading...same thing..as long as it is all seated, not a big deal..though the 2nd powder charge might could cause a problem i dont know...double projectiles shoot so long as they are seated tight...the charge of a double load could act as a buffer and might blow a barrel...not sure on that...hmm

Gotta pay attention and be careful thats for sure....

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree with you mauser. My dad loaded our flintlock before we checked the sights this year and I had no idea. Then, when we were getting set up to shoot it we realized that we forgot the ear muffs so he went and got them. While he was gone, I loaded it again not knowing he already had. Everything was seated well and boy did the gun go off. It kicked like a mule with all of the extra pressure but fired fine. It even hit the bulls eye although we did shoot it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts