The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago, I noticed some of my turnips were starting to look a little rough. Leaves were turning brown and beginning to die. Went up this weekend, and many of them seem to be completely dead now. Any ideas what happened?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
MIne are doing the same in Potter. Buddy told me they may have been too wet? To much rain? Of course, I've planted brassicas in that same plot 4 years in a row, so, I thought it was from disease.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grandfather said the same thing. He was a farmer his whole life and said too much water will make the turnips rot. This plot is also in Potter and we got a ridiculous amount of rain this year.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Mine looked great the middle of August. Some of the brassica were 20 inches tall by Labor Day, but were showing signs of browning. By first day of archery, they were mostly brown, and size was reduced. Lots of leaf there yet, but, turning brown.

The one plot that is on a hillside was doing better tho.

This was the first year you planted, right?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, first year for turnips and rape. The rape was gone well before archery. I cant believe how much the loved it. But I had similar results as you. Mine looked amazing in August and then just started browning. Hopefully the actual turnip part is still good through winter for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts