The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planted two 1/4 acre plots of turnips at my cabin in early August. I was up there over Labor Day and they were growing in better than the ever had. 5 weeks later, I go up today, and there’s not much left. I thought they turned sweeter after the first frost. Could the deer have already eaten them? The few that are left show holes in the leaves. Almost like small bugs are eating them. Could that be it? Has it been too wet and they died? I had a trail camera in the one plot, but it took a few pictures in September before it died, so that’s no help. I just thought this would be good to hunt over in mid/late October and now they are pretty much gone. On a side note, the cabin is in Bedford county. I know they are running around, but for the first time I saw a feral pig about a half mile from the cabin. Could that have done this?

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
My guess is that the deer wiped them out. There is a certain stage in their growth where the deer really like the leaves. Then is seems like they will leave them alone for a while and then will hit them late in the season after the frost/freeze. If the plots aren't big and you have quite a few deer they can take them down pretty quick.

I would think if it was a feral pig that you would see sign from them rooting around in them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In PA we have never had any issues with our quarter to 1/2 acre brassica plots. They basically leave them alone until it frosts and then they hammer them. That is not saying they won't eat some early, but it is just a snack. However on our NY farm we have had really good stands of turnips the past two years and just about when they would start producing bulbs, the deer wipe them out. The deer population is much lower in NY as well, so this has been enlightening. Fortunately we planted some inside our food plot fence and they are looking good even though we had to spray the one section in Agrisell Grass out max to kill some grass. Not sure why they are so attracted to them so early in that area, but maybe there is not as many food sources that are attractive to them at that point in time. That would not appear to be the case as there is a 2 to 3 acre clover plot right next to it that is tremendous.

I would add the small plots we have done on pipelines in the big woods areas never make it to the bulb producing stage and that I definitely attribute to their not being enough other food sources.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
In PA we have never had any issues with our quarter to 1/2 acre brassica plots. They basically leave them alone until it frosts and then they hammer them. That is not saying they won't eat some early, but it is just a snack. However on our NY farm we have had really good stands of turnips the past two years and just about when they would start producing bulbs, the deer wipe them out. The deer population is much lower in NY as well, so this has been enlightening. Fortunately we planted some inside our food plot fence and they are looking good even though we had to spray the one section in Agrisell Grass out max to kill some grass. Not sure why they are so attracted to them so early in that area, but maybe there is not as many food sources that are attractive to them at that point in time. That would not appear to be the case as there is a 2 to 3 acre clover plot right next to it that is tremendous.

I would add the small plots we have done on pipelines in the big woods areas never make it to the bulb producing stage and that I definitely attribute to their not being enough other food sources.
I agree with you. If you have some other food sources at that time they will pretty much leave them alone. In a year when there is no acorns or areas without other ag and stuff they can absolutely hammer them and they won't produce bulbs. Woods plots can even be worse for that as they will feed on them throughout the day. A fence is a good solution for this until they get established.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like to put an exclusion cage in a random spot on the plot after it is planted then there is no guess work involved. It is usually an eye opener

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep, what Loridor said. If it was hogs it would look like a mad man with a plow went through your property. I hunt hogs in the south and I believe if you could teach a pig to root in a straight line the length of a field and return in a straight line farmers would not need plows.:grin2: With all the rain we have had in the state this year, it is possible for root crops to have rotted in the ground.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Couple people I know had the same problem in their gardens including me.They just plain rotted with too much rain.Planted in early August and had a real nice patch and they were about 6-8" and they started to go.Checked with about 4 others that garden with same problem.
Pumpkins are having same problem.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
A cage is a good idea although I rarely ever put one in. I usually have a trail cam on it, so I can see the usage. I have never seem them wipe a plot out, but groundhogs will eat their fair share as well.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
We planted a brassica mix along with some sunflowers in the first few days of August....they are doing very well. We did put a cage up, but you can't see it for all of the growth in the plot. This plot is on a slope, so maybe that saved us from the rotting issue.

Here are a few pics I snapped on Friday, October 12th. I never imagined the sunflowers would do this well....I thought the deer would hammer them, but they appear to have not touched them at all.
That's a 15" machete in the first picture of the leaf and bulb growth.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes I did Grizzzz, had the buckwheat in it which grew well but since this is new ground ( plot extension ) I haven't built up any thatch yet. Just mowed, sprayed and drilled

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Ive got a plot I had to give up planting turnips. Same thing you experienced. It was some kind of little black bug. 2 years in a row they ate every inch of foliage and just left stems. I did that plot in clover this year with no issues.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
what ratherbhuntin said, I use to plant for a cover crop, and I like a purple top white globe turnip this time of year eaten raw at night with salt, I think it is good, as long as the turnip is soft ball size,. little worms would start and when you went to pick to eat there would be only a shell no goodie in side, what to do plant in different spot might help ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts