The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to shoot my Lyman Deerstalker christmas eve. Fired 3 shots at 50 yards, cleaning between them. Got to the target, no holes. Shooting Pa Conicals with felt wad behind. After some investigation, and a 4'x8' backstop, found out I was 2 feet right and a foot low. Only change I made was from 3F to 2F, I expected some change, but not 2 feet right. I had to drift the rear sight so far left and the front so far right they look weird. The barrel was slightly "loose" with the pin so I tightened it up using Lyman's instructions. Slightly better, but still way off. Any ideas????

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would try a lighter powder charge first. 3F is faster burning. See what happens when you do that before you do anything else. What's the weight of your conical? You may need to go heavier. The length of the heavier bullet combined with the weight makes them more stable.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would try 70gr of fff and move up from there. That's what I shoot out of my Lyman. I shoot Powerbelts though so not sure if PA Conical would do same.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Where do you store the rifle when not in use? Has it been out or moved since last season?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
This sometimes happens with lead/plastic buildup in the rifling.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are you shooting Hornady PA Conicals? If so, I believe they are for a twist rate of 1-66", or slower. Your Deerstalker is a 1-48" twist, or a 1-32" depending on which barrel you have.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I went back to my 90gr of FFFg and bingo, right back to grouping and shooting on the paper after putting the sights back to the old positions. Guess my rifle doesn't like FFg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah thats a weird one. Some guns dont like ff or some dont like fff. They are funny. I know my renegade doesn't like fff but it just doesnt group right. Stick with what works bud.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Also bought a Deerstalker 50 cal over the summer.

Using 3F powder behind the Hornady 385 grain Great Plains conicals. Have tried various charges between 50 to 80 grains in 5 grain increments and the groups just walk all over the paper. Difficult to keep two shots within 4" of each other.

Looks like my next move is the 2F and then roundballs as a last resort.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Round balls are great. My bp guns are more accurate with a prb then conicals any day. Only two exceptions. One is my navy arms .58 hawken hunter. That shoots a 600gr stakecutter(like a minnie with a wad cutter head) and i will also use r.e.a.l bullets. They are really accurate in almost any gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts