The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you carry during deer / bear season. What make, model, and caliber. I'm just gathering some info because I will be purchasing a revolver mainly to carry during hunting season. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
My all time favorite was my pre-'72 (old model)3 screw .357 Ruger Blackhawk!

My Dad bought it back in the early mid 70's along with my Single Six, that I still use for tree rats.

It now resides in NY, at a buddies cabin. I have kept it up there for about three years.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
S&W model 66 - 357 w/2" barrel

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Ruger blackhawk in .45 Colt.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
ld 3 screw Blackhawk in .357 too. Got the gun in 1972 at Levy's in Johnstown.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Glock 19 9mm with night sights/laser/light when hunting in SE PA and not trying to take game.

S&W 686 4" when trying for game or when in bear country.

·
Registered
805 Posts
From 72 till last year it was a Dan Wesson with a 6 inch barrel, I bought a new Ruger Black Hawk 45 Colt for this year, I dropped down to a 4 5/8 barrel, I took two deer with the Dan Wesson, both were under 40 yard, I figure the colt will give me a little more reach.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
In Pa I just stick my little Keltec 32 in my coat pocket. In Alaska backpacking, fishing, or hunting, previously I carried a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Spl, but now it's a 4" Taurus Ti 41 Mag.

·
Registered
385 Posts
From your post it appears you are getting a "backup" to carry along with your rifle and won't be using it as the primary hunting gun? If so, my preference is something smaller for easier carry, but with some punch and more for close range if needed. There are lots of good ones, but my favorite is a Ruger SP101 in .357 with a 3" barrel, after market Pachmayer compac grips and loaded with Remington 158 grain (or heavier) jacketed soft point hunting loads. These are fairly priced, heavy duty and a nice leather holster is available from Ruger. The only drawback is there are no adjustable sights, but with some practice it isn't a real issue.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for all your replies. Bowbender your correct I just want something to be my back up.

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
Ruger GP 100 357 mag with a 6"barrel, first year i'll carry it with me hunting

1 - 20 of 40 Posts