The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to evac your house tomorrow what guns would you take with you? Tell us why?

First one that I would be grabbing would be the 22lr(ruger charger 10/22). This may suprise some of you but with the size and the amount of 22 shells that I have it wold last me a while and for the most part with the exception of a bear I could kill what I needed for food. My second gun would probably be my tika t3 lite in 338 federal for the reason that I have about 300 shells loaded and if I had the time to pack I could put the reloader in the truck and be good for about another 300 shells. I forgot that I would also have my ccw s&w sigma 9mm have about 300 shells or so for it as well?

Lets hear what you would take???

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
If we're talking a bug out situation the Savage bolt .22 LR goes first. I would also grab a 30-06 because there are somethings the .22 can't do. Lastly a .38 revolver because you never know when you'll need it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Probably my Oly Arms AR-15. Since the reason for the evacuation was not explained, I'm going to have to assume that it's not because I'm starving, but because of some sort of human threat. In that case, I definitely want a semi-auto, and something with enough oomph that I will be able to take out targets at 100m and beyond in order to protect me and mine. Following that logic, I'll have the Sig 9mm on the hip for quick close range combat. .223 and 9mm ammo is everywhere.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't think it's going to come as any surprise that the ARs will be represented in opinions with this kind of topic.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
jim stemler said:
a 22 and a 12 gauge you can get ammo antwhere and will kill anything in north america.

I just don't think I'd take a shotgun. The shells are too large and take up too much room and the guns are too long and harder to transport.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
A gun is only one thing that you would want to take..Clothing must be considered, some food perhaps,first aid supplies...All of this doesn't leave a lot of room for weapons....I'd probably take a solitary 22 and stuff my pockets with ammo.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
You guys are lucky...I have no guns to take.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
No question... Ruger Mark III Hunter.

You can kill almost anything with a .22. And, you can carry enough ammo to last for a long time.

If survival is the name of the game, trying to carry multiple weapons and the ammo needed for each would drag one down in a hurry. I am making the assumption you would have to stuff a bunch of other survival items in the backpack.

Now if I had a gun bearer, I might also take my Ruger M77 in .22-250. You can reach out and "touch" someone with that gun and still carry a lot of ammo.

Best regards, Glenn

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Big Ken said:
A gun is only one thing that you would want to take..Clothing must be considered, some food perhaps,first aid supplies...All of this doesn't leave a lot of room for weapons....I'd probably take a solitary 22 and stuff my pockets with ammo.

Don't forget your 30-06. It isn't just the jack of all trades, it's the master of all.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW alot of different guns on here and we are talking guns only clothes and other stuff is a given.

ars I like and have but only problem with them is if it ever came down to it my 22 and taking/stealing/buying a box of shells you either get 50 or a brick of 500 to do the same with the 223 you only get 20. I dont want to brag but my 22 ruger charger and the way that I shoot im not worried about a 100 yd shot even if it was a human you put 2 or 3 to the head if it dont kill them it will make them think twice before comming closer.

Still think the 22 your best bet!!!!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
O ya and forgot to mention for the ar guys how much ammo you taking with you?? You planning on carrying around a heavy 1000 round case plus everything else you need?

just something to think about

1 - 20 of 45 Posts