The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna be moving to florida soon and want to get into hog hunting any ideas what a good hog gun will be? i was thinking the 270wsm

·
Registered
22,215 Posts
Never hunted Florida.....been there a few times.
Some pretty thick stuff in the areas I saw that had hogs.
I think I'd be leaning more towards slug guns or buckshot for up close and personal encounters.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
if you using a 30/30 make sure to use the hornady leverevoluton ammo and be careful of your shots.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
On private property with landowner permission, wild pigs may be hunted year round using rifles, shotguns, crossbows, bows or pistols. There is no size or bag limit, and you may harvest either sex. Also, no hunting license is required.

On wildlife management areas (WMAs), hogs may be taken during most hunting seasons, except spring turkey. But, if it's during archery season, you must use a bow - during muzzleloading gun season, you can only use a muzzleloader. And, you do need a hunting license as well as management area permit and any other necessary permits to hunt wild pigs on WMAs - where on some, daily bag limits on wild pigs do apply, and on a few, there's even a minimum size limit on what you can take

http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/

What type of rifle depends on where you hunt...read the "regs" first before you buy anything.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I think they do the dog thing alot. think they hunt dirt road trails too. Don;t think you'ed be walkin into thick stuff to find them, they'ed find you. When you get down there you'll see what locals do most.If I was goin to hunt hogs I'ed take a good asortment of guns and a bow. Think I'ed start out with a 30.30 170 gr. After a few under my belt I'ed do the others like my .270, 6.5, and a Rage broad head. Guess your gonna have some fun....later

·
Registered
22,215 Posts
I think I would lean towards a larger caliber more apt to cutting brush. You might catch some in the open on roads and such but I imagine eventually you're going to end up stumbling through the brush chasing one down.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would think twice about using buck shot on a hog because of thr gristle shield around their chest. I have taken hogs with a muzzle loader using hard cast Hevi Shot slugs and would use the same if using a shotgun. I have taken one with a bow and one with a handgun in 45 Colt using Buffalo Bore hard cast slugs.

·
Administrator
28,757 Posts
Hogs are known for their sense of humor. They like to hide in laurel thickets and then jump out and yell "Surprise!" when a hunter comes close.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Lady Hog Hunter's use dogs, the dogs keepem busy so they don't come for ya al. Bear huntin in heavy brush don't bother me at all, but them hogs are nuts and come a runnin fast. Awhile back at the Bow Festaval in Forksville they'ed let thm go and you'ed hunt them. Nothin fancy you stand sorta hidden and wait for them to come down mountain, anyways after a couple yrs. I did stick one. When my arrow hit it it squealled, and when it ran by next to me I put one in it again, never even slowed it up. Ben Pearson55#....later

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Anything 30 caliber or larger.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
countrylife19 said:
thanks guys and yeah they do the dog thing down there im gonna be doin that also
If using a dog, do it like a man and go with a knife.

Other than that, I've killed at 260 lb. hog with a single shot from a .270. A buddy and I each killed one last January with .22 mags.

In GA, we can use whatever weapon is in at the time so in small game, you can only use a small game rifle, shotgun with shot, or a muzzleloader. During gun deer season, you can use any rifle or shotgun you want. Check to see what the regulations are in the area you will hunt most often and use this to guide your decision.

.30-30 will be plenty of rifle. Like anything in hunting, shot placement is key.

FYI: I'm not a man and don't think I would ever hunt a hog with a knife although it doesn't look as dangerous as one would think.

·
Registered
22,215 Posts
I agree on the 30 cal or larger....But me personally, I think in the areas I been in Florida I'd opt for the slug gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i will be using winchester for the 30-30 not that leverevolution i shot a buck and two doe this deer season with that ammo and all of em dropped got back up and ran no blood trail to follow

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
30.30 and 170 FN are what made 30.30's and any brand works from the cheapest to the best. Why fix somethin that anit broke???...later

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I've killed 3 hogs in South Carolina the past two years. Smallest was shot with a 30/06 (165gr ballistic tip), medium sized one with a 280 (140gr accubond) and the biggest with a 338 federal (200gr speer hot core). All three shots were approximately 100 yards. The ones shot with the 30/06 and 280 dropped on the spot. The one shot with the 338 federal made it about 100 yards before dying but it was also 100 lbs + bigger than the other two. All were solid chest shots. A couple locals brought 2 hogs (over 200lbs each) to our lodge that were both shot with 22 mags in the eyes. Our guide said that most of the hogs shot at their lodge are shot with a 25/06

1 - 20 of 22 Posts