The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start getting into hunting. I want to hunt everything from squirrel to deer but I don't know which weapon is the best for each scenario. For instance, say I use a 150gr. 30-30 bullet for deer, I use a 30-06 150gr for deer, I use a ... for squirrel, pheasant, turkey, etc.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
get yourself a Mossberg 500 12 gauge combo. I could sell every gun I have except for that one, and still hunt every game animal pa has to offer.

I've made that statement a couple times now. Hope my wife never reads that statement......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hunt/fish is right about the Mossberg 500. I have one in 20 guage and can hunt about anything with it.
However, if you have a few extra bucks and an understanding wife, buy as many guns as you can....they're alot of fun....

Joe

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
for squirrel, is a 22 long rifle or a shotgun with fine shot..usually 5 or 6..

for rabbit, grouse, pheasant etc its a shotgun..loads vary depending on cover and how they are holding..close shots i use a smaller shot and more open choke..farther shots i tighten the choke and shot gets bigger..

for deer i use a 308 or 3006 with 165gr bullets

for bear i use a 35 whelen with 225gr bullets

for turkey i use a shotgun with 4, 5 or 6 shot heavy turkey loads..

for groundhogs i shoot a 22-250 with 45-55gr bullets

everyone has different guns and calibers and loads they like...nothing is really set in stone..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a big difference between the 500 and the 870? Because my friend has two Remington 870's he is trying to sell. One is "regular" and the other one is a "magnum". He wants the same price for both of them so which one would be better?

·
Registered
706 Posts
LarryD1130 said:
Is there a big difference between the 500 and the 870? Because my friend has two Remington 870's he is trying to sell. One is "regular" and the other one is a "magnum". He wants the same price for both of them so which one would be better?
Magnum.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
LarryD1130 said:
Is there a big difference between the 500 and the 870?
The Price

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The reason I meantioned the 500 was because they are normally on sale this time of year for about $300 for the combo with a cheapo scope. The remington usually goes for around $400 with iron sights.

I like the combo because you get a fully rifled slug barrel as well as the field barrel. Sure you could throw sluggers from any field barrel, but the bead sight leaves something to be desired.

Try to buy the slug barrel seperately, and you will pay close to the price of some combos.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
Go to your local dealer, and start pricing!That's a good starting point.While there he can point you in the right direction as to which gun you may need!There are so many choices your head is gonna spin!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
A field barrel is a tube of steel with a smoot inside bore, most made today have a vent rib on top with a single or double bead on top for sighting purposes. They are typically for firing "shot" (multiple bb's) at flying or running game. Most have interchangeable choke tubes that allow you to tighten or open your shot pattern on target. You want this for different typs of game, shot sizes and intended shooting distance. Now you can fire slugs (large single lead projectile) from a field barrel. The slugs you'd want for this would be a foster type or brenneke type. The smooth bore of the barrel does not impart any spin on the projectile that decreases accuracy as the distance increases. They do make smooth bore deer barrels that use the same slugs but have rigle type sights, (notch in rear, post in front) These sights are only a slight improvement to me. In my esperience I would feel uncomfortable with a smoothbore barel and rifle sights beyond 75 yrds in most circumstances.
A rifle barrel has rifling on the inside of the barrel and is designed to shoot sabot slugs. A sabot slug is a single lead projectile usually surrounded by plastic, when fired the rifling in the barrel bites into the plastic and gains a spin as it goes down range. The spin increases stability in flight increases accuracy and consistancy. A rifle shot gun barrel will have either open rifle type sights or a "cantilever" scope mount built into it. The scope stays mounted to the barrel when you take it on and off the gun.
The technology of the sabot slugs have some making claims that shots near 200 yards are possible. I have not personally seen it. I have a mossberg 695, that is a bolt action rifled barrel shotgun that clover leafs them at 100 using the cheapest winchester sabot slug I can find. At 125 yrds it opens up a little and starts to drop. Ive never shot it at 150 but would I? yes with the slugs I use I know Id probably be 12 inches low at that distance.

To answer the question of the original post heres what I use
Deer, remington 7600 30-06 150 grain bullets (handloads)
Deer where required by statute or safety concerns is the 695 mentioned above
Turkey, mossberg 835 12 ga
Other shot gun requirements, usually remington 11-87 12 ga
groundhogs, usually my marlin .17 hmr or a NEF handi rifle in .243

·
Registered
129 Posts
Deer (250 yds or less) Ruger M77 Mark II 30-06 with 150gr coreloks
Deer (over 250) Winchester 7mm STW with 175 gr Nosler Handloads
Turkey - Mossberg 835 with 4 or 5 shot 3-1/2" Mags 12ga
Small Game Shotgun - Old Iver Johnson 16ga Side by Side
Squirrel - Marlin 22mag.
Flintlock - Lyman Deerstalker 50 cal

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay basically why I'm asking this question is because I'm looking to buy some new guns for hunting. The first one will be a 12 gauge pump combo. I want to keep it simple and get a 870 or a 500 but I don’t know which one to get. Any suggestions? I am also interested in getting some type of small game bolt action rifle in either .17HMR, .22lr, or .22WMR. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
LarryD1130 said:
Okay basically why I'm asking this question is because I'm looking to buy some new guns for hunting. The first one will be a 12 gauge pump combo. I want to keep it simple and get a 870 or a 500 but I don’t know which one to get. Any suggestions? I am also interested in getting some type of small game bolt action rifle in either .17HMR, .22lr, or .22WMR. Any suggestions?

I like the .22 WMR far more than the .22 LR. I feel it has more potential and I just like the way it cracks.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
LarryD1130 said:
I have 3 870s a 22lr & a 22 WMR so I know nothing about the 500 or .17 hmr. I like all the ones I have and would pick an older 870 over a 500 any day.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Mod 88 Winchester, 150 grn Remington corelokts.

·
Registered
393 Posts
LarryD1130 said:
There are definitely differences in ergonomics. I just compared the Moss 500 to Rem 870 and ended up buying the Mossberg. I'm a lefty shooter, and although the Remington is offered in a lefty, I liked the Mossberg better. The safety on the Mossberg is on the top (thumb safety). The slide release is also better positioned on the Mossberg for me. The Mossberg also felt better to me AND was $100 less then the Remington.
I bought a Mossberg 500 field/deer combo from Dicks for $279. The 2x25 scope is junk. I put a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 scope from Cabelas for $95. The thing shoots dead on at 100 with Winchester sabots.

To answer the OP,
I also shoot a .308 Browning BLR with 150g.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts