The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m struggling to find a grunt call I like. I really liked the original true talkers but my last one finally died. The newer ones just seem poorly constructed, sound like a wounded duck, or as big as my bow. Also interested in what other calls people carry.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I use "The Natural" by Knight and Hale. They made a special edition a few years ago made from cherry wood, and I bought it. You can change the tone (low-hi) by removing the front portion of the call and moving the rubber O-ring. Most grunt calls are made this way anymore.

I think the key to calling is to call lightly and infrequently. The call also needs to sound "beatable" by the buck you're grunting at.

Some guys like to blind call and others will only call when they see a buck they want to come into range. I will blind call, but only if I'm in very dense cover and not in open woods. This will force any buck to get very close to you vs. looking in your direction in open woods, seeing nothing, and not coming in to check it out.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I still like the original Primos Buck Roar, called a lot of bucks in with that call. I don't think they make it anymore and glad I have a spare.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I use a cheap call. Primos Trophy Grunter call. Only $7 but i call in anywhere between 10-20 deer every archery season. That is doe included. Not expensive and works like a charm for me anyway. I never go hunting without it.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I just bought a Hooks Messenger, its an awesome call

They also make a true talker OG that is supposed to be the same as the original true talker.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Pa, oddly enough I have one of those laying around somewhere. Were they clear and black?
Mine are olive green and black. Primos makes the Buck Roar 2 and the Rut Roar now, they may be just as good but never tried them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
One of the original True Talkers. Sounds great, but you can't call at distance, otherwise you sound like a mallard. :)

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I don't even know what make my calls are, imo one is as good as another.

I have one that I really like the sound of, but it's not real loud. The other one sounds more like a duck call, but it's much louder. Both seem to work fine, I use both alot and iv'e killed dozens of bucks off them.

·
Super Moderator
12,878 Posts
I have 2 MAD calls neither sounds good, have Primos Hand-Free (Small) easy to carry, but tends to freeze up in cold weather, the best of my lot is an old Knight & Hale EZ-Grunt-ER.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The Night & Hale grunters are very good. Usually just use my voice. Have grunted in 6 buck on an evening hunt.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I think having a loud grunt call is important. I never grunt to a buck that's close and have killed several bucks that were a long way off and had to really grunt loud to get their attention. Once I get their attention I don't grunt again and let them search.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Once I get their attention I don't grunt again and let them search.
When calling, less is more.

It's not a duck call, don't use it like one. Once he's heard it, he knows exactly where you're at. At that point i might grunt once more if he seems undecided what to do. Any more after that only hurts your chances.

If he still needs some convincing, I have a small white sock with a golf ball in it tied to my pull up rope. It's on the ground under my stand and I'll give it a jerk and let it fall back into the leaves. Now he's seen some motion and heard more noise. Since I started using that trick it's doubled my success when grunting. Deadly effective.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
It's hard to call an older buck in if the woods are open, if they can't see the other buck most likely they will spook. I think adding the visual would definitely help, I imagine a deer tail on a string would work great also.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts