The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my dislike I am currently boat less. Looking for opinions on what boat you would buy and why. I am fishing with the wife, daughter and her friend on Erie. Mostly Perch but do often target Walleye. We do not start out in 3 footers but sometime come back in them.
Most likely will dock boat during season. We have vehicles to pull trailer if needed.
What would you purchase? If additional info is desired please let me know.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Depends on your wallet, and what size you may want. With the ladies onboard, and if you can afford one, I'd consider a cuddy cabin for their bathroom privacy, or at least a boat that you can rig up a small privacy tent. You probably won't find a cuddy under about 18ft. I don't know how pontoons fare on Erie, so that is something you would have to look at right there. If handling the 3 footers isn't too much of a problem for the ladies, a good center console would work very well.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This boat would be our weekend get away. We have a place to stay on land so we do not have to sleep on it. A toilet is going to be a must. Does it have to be a built in NO.
We are looking for around 25 foot or larger. We have had Thompson, Baha, and Starcraft.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 24ft penn yan hard top takes my 3 and wife no problem. It has a small port-potty. better than a bucket lol

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timber, Grady White is one great looking boat.
Bigjob, ever have a concern with having just one motor?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
For the great lakes, one main (I/O or OB) is fine but having a bracket or transom space for a 9.9 or 15 hp 4 stroke kicker is great insurance.

What is your budget would be the biggest question and if buying used, dealing with people who think their 1980's or early 90's boat is still worth over $20k to $30k will be your biggest hurdle.

One boat that I would think would be great for a family and multiple purpose would be one of the bigger, newer dual consoles that have the port a potty installed in the console on the passenger side. The wife/kids will like the upfront seating during good weather or running around the bay but if it gets gnarly, you can put on the front cover and button up the walk through windshield and be fairly protected.

But for me, if/when I get an Erie boat again, it will be outfitted for eye/steelie trolling (which can be done easily on the aforementioned boat).

For strictly fishing on Erie only, you can't beat a 24-28' hard top with a cuddy and the largest cockpit space you can get.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes always think about a kicker motor just haven't bit the bullet and done it yet. I had a 22ft sylvan had a kicker and it would take 5 people just a little snug. I have a buddy has 22ft trophy hard top its a nice boat we get 5 in it regularly. Go with what you can afford they are all nice until its time for upkeep. make sure you get good towing insurance it will pay for its self 1st time u need it on the water.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have any positives or negatives about Judge's Yacht Chesapeake 27s for the Great Lakes? That looks like a fine fishing machine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
its all of what you can swing my $0.02. as long as ur happy bud. make sure has high sides for the little ones, anything like mine they love to play in the water as ur running.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just grad you are exactly correct. Had a much bigger boat and am looking for 24-28. The 32 was not fun to dock solo.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Deer archer said:
Anyone have any positives or negatives about Judge's Yacht Chesapeake 27s for the Great Lakes? That looks like a fine fishing machine.
It looks nice for cruising and trolling but is way overkill for perch fishing.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Springer I agree it is over kill for Perch... But boy do they look nice! I am at a spot in my life where it might be my only chance to get a "dream" boat.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting a boat survey done on a Grady White 24 this week. Am hopeful all comes back clean!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The Judge 27 on tidalfish is still for sale.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
G-daddy sent you an email. Do you know any more about that boat?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts