The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in the headlines and couldn't believe it -

NC State of Emergency Gun Buy Ban

Okay, maybe it's become part and parcel that when a State of Emergency is declared, no one can buy guns or ammo - regardles of what the emergency is caused by? I guess I've been sleeping! I just don't get it!

Is it different state-to-state? In other words, what does a state of emerg. mean in PA with regards to guns and ammo?

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
deadon is right, "carrying of firearms in vehicles is also banned." This story was updated since I originally posted. Earlier version said buying guns and ammo.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I hunted coyote on Saturday even after our Governor declared an emergency. Could be a problem if this takes off. They sure tramped all over the 2nd amendment. I have the right to carry my firearm even if it is only to hunt during a snowstorm. What if an invasion started would they declare an emergency then, nobody could defend the USA.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I'm pretty sure in PA if you are licensed to carry a Firearm, you are excluded from this (no carry during declared SOE). Also, if your defending property or life...

I can't remember exacty.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

·
Registered
17,908 Posts
Rabbit410 said:
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
X 1,000,000

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Have any of you checked PA title 18 section 6107????
PROHIBITED CONDUCT DURING EMERGENCY!

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgunupon the publiuc streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State, or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:
(1) Actively engaged in a self defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat,
(2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under 6109(b)

So when Fast Eddy declared a state of emergency last weekkend, it became a crime to transport a firearm on public streets or to even hunt with a firearm on State Game Lands (public property?) unless licensed to carry or otherwise exempt, such as going to or from the gunshop, to a target range, etc.

So things here in the Keystone People's Republik are not so dissimilar.

Imagine a commie liberal declaring a state of emergency on the first day of firearms season for deer and mass arrests.

Another reason to get a license to carry.

Remember when the authorities went door to door seizing firearms after the tornados out in the midwest???? Shades of things they can do to us.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'm not really (read: at all) concerned with what some politician or "authority figure" thinks I should do at any time.

One man - ever - had the right to tell me what to do, and he was crucified a few thousand years ago.

Don't tread on me.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I'm sure that thought would comfort you after being arrested, convicted and being put in a cell with a raging homosexual murderer.

Only vigilence keeps us free!

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
If you are not allowed to drive during a state of emergency why would you place a gun in your car?No stores would be open including gun stores and those that sell alcohol.Basically guns and alcohol didn't even need to be mentioned.Owning a gun may be a right but driving is a priviledge.So if they take away driving go back to why do you need a gun in your car?That's my take on it.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zim - thanks for the post - that was the info I was looking for: PA is 'guilty' of infringing also!

LTC - I'm not sure what this would do for the hunter. It really has nothing to do with rifles and shotguns. My understanding is this license only permits one to carry concealed - since they can't grant a license to open carry - that's a right ...

EXCEPT in this instance we are discussing!

·
Registered
65 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
Have any of you checked PA title 18 section 6107????

(2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under 6109(b)

Let's not see a commie behind every tree guys......

.....let's be vigilent, but disseminating chicken little warnings inaccurately only serves to make us look foolish.

The actual exemptions are in 6106(b) and they afford you every rights you have any other day of the year.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
....again...only honest, law abiding gun owners does this pertains to...or follow.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SJFL
What is in this post that is "disseminating chicken little warnings inaccurately?" The state of emergency laws as constructed are in violation of the 2ndA. Basically, as always, they are saying, "don't worry people, let the government protect you." The other assumption is that these conditions will always be temporary. We all know what they say about assume!
Oh, I perfectly understand that we have "every rights you have any other day of the year."
My shock is that we have let it get this far! My rights are not defined by relatively recent laws - they predated that! It is very clear from 2ndA - shall not be infringed means they shall make no law restricting ... they obviously have done that!

I don't know about you, but when there is a "state of emergency" (like someone mentioned Katrina or the floods out west) that is precisely when I do want to have a firearm on my person and want to be able to buy ammo if needed. Wouldn't want to be able to hunt, if stores were closed?

·
Super Moderator
4,590 Posts
The reason for the law is so LEO's can tell a looter from the regular Joe.If you can protect our country better than a LEO or the military go to the wars we are in with your gun.If America got invaded there would not be people hitting the beaches like in Normandy.The Chinese have already "invaded" with computers.We have armored vehicles in Afganastan that weigh 72 tons.You want to stop those with a firearm?Other countries have similar weapons.Unmanned drones.Go ahead and shoot them.Will the enemy be hurt?We are not the only country in the world with that technology.If you want the law changed dealing with a state of emergency call your legislators.Not one person on here can help your cause.Whining or complaining on this forum will do nothing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts