The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that a when a tom is ready to breed his head will turn snowball white and when he's wary or nervous in a situation his head will be mostly all red. From what I've observed, most toms I see strutting around courting his hens often do have a all white heads. But I've also saw them with the white on top, blue, and then red. Do these colors help describe they're mood and communicate with other turkeys? What do you guys think..

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
3 or 4 years ago. Can't quite remember exactly. I was heading back to the truck and started cutting very aggressively. Instantly about 125-150 away a bird sounded off. I got into position off an old logging road and I'll never forget that bird because as he was approaching coming up that logging road putting on a show, it looked like a white lightbulb. I mean totally white, just the slightest hint of blue to it. I've never seen one that distinct before that or since. You have a good question. I'll be interested to see the responses from guys who know more about turkey behavior than I do.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I shot a two-year-old back in '08 that came in with a large flock of jakes and other longbeards. He was clearly the dominant bird, as he was chasing and fighting any other bird that got near him. There was no strutting or gobbling, they were simply feeding across the field. What stood out the most though, was his head was noticeably whiter than all the other birds, even though no hen was in sight. I got busted as I moved my gun for the shot, and within seconds his head coloration changed from bright white to a dull red.

Drawing from that experience, and some other hunts from along the way, it seems to me that the color itself means less than the brightness of that color. I've had gobblers come in to breeding calls and fighting calls with both white heads and red heads, but the one consistency is the dominant bird's coloration was always noticeably brighter than the other birds around them. If I got busted, the light went out and his head was a dull red again.

Just my observations though, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I seen a bearded bird today with a jake and two other hens. When i say bearded i mean conservatively 6 inches...probably more like 8....that had absolutely no coloring to its head...it was.next to the jake with barely 3 inches of beard...im as far from an expert when it comes to turkeys, but it was odd enough to make me take notice. Could it have been a bearded hen?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Good topic, I have seen all the different phases of gobbler head color variation.
Seems like a very individual thing in each turkey.
I bet if Lovett Williams were still around he would have a very good answer for this question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.