The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several skull mounts and rack plaques, but over the years the antlers seem to be a little dull compared to the day i got the buck. What do you use to bring natural color back to them??

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just on the antlers use a tiny bit of WD40 on a rag and dab it on. It will give it some luster again. Just make sure not to rub on too hard it can remove some of the natural stain.

·
Banned
649 Posts
I would stay away from Wd-40 on antlers, over time it will collect more dust than u want !there are products out there made for taxidermy that your taxidermist should be able to help you! I have a couple bottles I keep on stock to sell

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've used some golden oak minwax on several that had turned white on me from being outdoors. They have held up well.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Is it a quality antler mount or just a cheap plaque kit from walmart? I used to use the cheapos. Several years ago I learned to use taxidermist blocks to mount them and make my own plaques. The difference is night and day. Takes a little while to make a nice mount, but im slowly going back and remounting my old ones with the new method and quality plaques.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My bad, I see now you're just looking to shine the antlers themselves. I would think some kind of furniture wax would do the job.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If these are in your house the dullness is from things in the house,like cooking. Wipe them off with alchol and then try some stain like minwax. Walnut was my preference. And buff them with a cloth. they will polish up but not like glass just a little luster will come on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts