The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What call do you get the best results with when trying to locate a gobbler that has already roosted in the evening? I have a small wood lot and want to be able to determine if a gobbler has roosted there for the evening or I will move on to another property or two where I will hunt.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have never had good luck with crow calls and do much better with owl hooters. In fact, the real owls went on a major calling rip this morning and the gobblers I roosted last night went nuts shock gobbling to all of the noise. For whatever reason, that barred owl sound and coyotes howling really works to get them going. On that note, a coyote howler may come out with me next time out to see if it will work on my farm.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
No problem. Despite what I said above, shock calls are cheap and typically take up very little space in your vest. While a crow call hasn't worked well for me, your birds may respond well to it, so try it if other shock calls don't work.

As for owl hooters, there are many on the market, but I have had excellent luck with the HS Strut Mega Hoot owl call. It's actually a reed call (versus a traditional owl "hooter"), but it works very well to simulate a barred owl's "who, who, who-who" cadence:

·
Registered
823 Posts
My girlfriend and I doubled up on opening day after I called a group of young males in. As soon as they appeared on the flat about 60 yards in front of us, some knucklehead at the top of the hill decided it would be a good day/time to start target shooting with his .22. I thought our hunt was ruined, until I saw that every single time the guy up top took a shot, all those young gobblers shock-gobbled in unison. Made me laugh every single time.

So, I'd say just fire off a couple of .22 rounds. :)

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
outhouse door slamming as you exit. closing the truck door or blowing the horn. the sound of traffic hitting that bump out front...

Reactions: Uncle Johnny
1 - 7 of 7 Posts