The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday I was bear hunting with a fresh 2 inch blanket of snow. I crept up on a group of deer bedding and scoped in to see what they were. There was one 8 point bedded, another unknown deer a few yards away from it bedding and another 2 spikes meandering around. I, besides being upset that it wasn't deer season, moved even closer. As I got closer, another two 8 points stood up and came into the picture. I then noticed another dark racked buck walking within yards of the others. It ended up being a 10 point. I was within 25 yards of all these by the way. I stepped over a few fallen trees to alert them of my presence (hope they bed closer to my stand next time) and they all got up and ran. In total, three 8 points, 2 spikes, one 10 point, 3 doe all skirted out of there.

Can anyone provide me some insight on this phenomenon? I thought mature bucks split up during rut? I enjoy researching and studying deer behavior but couldn't really locate any info on this.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I saw bucks (juvie's, but not fork horns) a few days ago boxing to the point they were throwing eachother down, and then making nice and sniffing and feeding together. Just when there are norms, there are not norms. Life is a learning experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts